• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Acceptance Chance

Hello. Could someone please help me in judging my chances at some universities based on my profile?

Country - India

Status - Final Year student of Mechanical Engineering

GPA - 3.02 (WES iGPA) i scored really well in subjects related to finance, programming and applied mathematics; not so well in core mechanical subjects :(

Extra Curriculars - Member of the student committee of extracurricular events, Student in-charge of Promotional activities for college events, Elected class representative for a class of 83 students, 1 completed project - Remote Controlled vehicle with attached mechanical arm, 1 ongoing project - Material Handling and transport vehicle for industrial use (funded by an alloy wires manufacturing company in my city).

GRE - 168 Q, 161 V, 4 AWA (Sept 2016)

TOEFL iBT - 101 (Dec 2014), I'm planning to appear once more this December.

SOP - I had it read by a few seniors who are currently in great schools abroad, and they said it was good.

LORs- 1) Finance and Cost Management teacher, who is also the teacher in-charge of Extra curricular activities, so he knows me better than most others, I'm the second highest scorer in his class (out of 83 students)
2) Computer Integrated Management teacher, who also led a seminar and a workshop I took in MATLAB. I've also been one of the top 5 students in his class.
3) Mathematics teacher. He has known me since my first year at college, since he's taught me two courses (Engineering Mathematics 1 - Algebra and Calculus, and Engineering Mathematics 2 - Probability and Statistics). I've scored good marks in both of his classes.

Work Experience - A couple of internships in production, sales and marketing. No full time work experience.

Certifications - C++, Python, Financial Management, Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part 1 (I am planning to start Part 2 in January).

Seminars/Workshops attended - Financial Modelling, MATLAB, Mathematics in Finance (among others).

Volunteer work - Rotaract Club of Rotary dist. 3030, Sankalp (it's a local NGO where we help raise awareness about environmental issues).

I've already applied to a few colleges in October because many people told me it would help me a lot if I applied a lot before the deadline. Some of them are: NYU MathFin, Columbia MFE, Baruch MFE, UCLA MFE, UW Seattle CFRM.

PS - I realize that (maybe) none of you are a part of the admissions committee and hence can't be sure about it, but a few of you may already be studying at these schools, or have graduated from them. Maybe you could compare my profile to yours, and tell me if I have a realistic chance at getting into any of these schools, or if I am just reaching too high. I'm here to hear the truth, so please, if you feel that I am the craziest person on the face of the earth for applying to colleges where I have no chance, say it without reservations, I wont feel bad. Thank you in advance. :)

Back