• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission advice

Hi,
I want your advice regarding my admission chances. I am from India and my G.P.A on US scale is around 2.6. I have a decent GRE score quant (169 ), verbal (161 ). I have a GRE Math subject test score of 690. I have co-founded a start up in which we provide mathematical advice to software industry. I have also created a website which has tutorials on Calculus, Probability and statistics, etc.

I want to pursue ms in financial engineering as I am planing to provide financial products and so I need expertise in that field. My problem is that with my G.P.A which kind of Universities I should target. I have compiled a list. Please suggest which universities I should select. I will be extremely grateful for help.

Carnegie Mellon

NUS Singapore

NTU Singapore

Boston University

Rutgers

Baruch

RPI

Florida state University

SMU Singapore

North Carolina Charlotte

Columbia - financial mathematics

How did you arrive at the number 2.6? Most universities (if not all) DO NOT want you to convert GPA to a 4 scale.

I have no idea about GRE Math subject scores. But if your score is really good, it can help you prove your mathematical ability I guess.

Thank you. If I leave Math Subject test score, what would you suggest about universities to apply in the mentioned list based on my profile?

I am no expert and cannot possibly answer that. From what I have seen, It would be hard to get anyone to answer this here. You can start with reading the quantnet guide and do your own research and then come back with very specific questions.

If you want to work with your startup after graduation, then I think you can really match the curriculum with your specific needs. Would a brand name be important to your customers?

of course brand name and image matters to customers. look through the top rankings of revered lists and start from #1.

OK . My GPA is quite low. Will my decent GRE score , my own start up and website compensate for my low GPA. Other wise I understand that I have no chance in top universities. Thanks a lot Keith , patpat for the help.

Have you taken all the prerequisite math courses and how are your grades in them? This will matter..IMO
Also can you reasonably explain low gpa in ur SOP?

Very good GRE score Ajay, I think that will help you to get in and remove other weakness.

Back