• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on career change

Kuroda

Hi all, I am not a frequent poster but I thought it would have been a good idea to drop a message here given the audience of this forum.

As the title states, I am looking for opinions on a change of career and how to achieve that (and if it is actually a good idea to even try it out).

General background: this summer I will be in the financial industry for three years with past experience in S&T and IBD (that is my current position - in London). I already hold a Msc in Finance though it was not the MFE/ pure quant type of course. I enjoyed S&T a lot and wanted it or trading to be my job. I am basically getting very tired of my current position, working a crazy amount of hours, completing boring tasks and trying to self-motivate myself everyday. The general feeling is like being in a hole not really trying to escape because of the money.

I was considering to get back to school for a 1 year Msc in quant finance next September to seek re-qualification while using the time to understand what I am really looking for and try to achieve it. Should that be the case, after the masters completion I will be 28 trying to break into finance again. I cannot afford to pay £20k for a course in London but would most likely go for cheaper courses (I see the Netherlands has good and affordable ones). On the other side, if I stay where I am, I may try to land an associate position next year hoping in a better lifestyle tough not really enjoying my job.

What do you think? It would be great to receive some comments and advices.

Back