• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

advice

Hi All,

I am considering switching careers from aerospace to quantitative finance. I am ex rocket scientist and have a masters degree in applied physics. With more than 10 years of software experience using Matlab, programming in C++, Java, shell scripts, Perl, and Python for statistical analysis, algorithm development, and black box system analysis, it seems to me that the transition should be smooth. Does anyone have any leads or any companies that I would have better chances with? More specifically hedge funds or insurance or banks or something else? I live in US but open to anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance,
ex-Rocket Scientist

If you don't mind me asking, why are you making the shift? Primarily for the money? Or are you genuinely interested in the financial markets?

I always loved the numbers and have a genuine interest in finance. I spend a lot of time developing trading systems for myself and love the challenge. It is thrilling to spot a statistical pattern or an anomaly when it all seems random.

Back