• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Algorithmic trading - London

Hi everybody,

I've been working as a C# developer for seven years and I'm trying to switch career to an algo trading job. Although I've found very helpful threads digging in this forum but I still would like to get some advice from the quantnet community.

I'm looking for an MFE/MSc in the UK to acquire the necessary knowledge to work on this field. Before you start replying I do know that there are no programmes covering all the areas so my question would be which one would give me a advantage over other competitors.

These are some of the programmes I have in mind but please feel free to suggest any other:

- MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering (Imperial - Classic MFE)
- MSc Finance (Imperial - Very similar to the above imperial MSc. A bit more focused on econometrics)
- MSc in Mathematical Trading & Finance (CASS)
- MSc in Quantitative Finance (CASS - more focused on forecasting)

Finally there a couple of more technology oriented MScs in Financial Computing at UCL:
- MSc in Computational Statistics and Machine Learning

Which one do you think that suits better to get into algorithmic trading? Any other options you may know?

Thanks a lot!

MFE is useful, I have one myself. But the fact of the matter is that the algo trading skillset leans more towards stats and ML. The only downside is it may be harder to get in the door (career support, finance interview questions).

Hi does anyone know any of US schools' MFE/MSCF/MFM teaches HTF part of their algo program?
Thank you.

I think for those Algorithmic Trading job a good degree in CS from a TOP university would be sufficient. All the people I know working in such jobs had either a degree in CS or in Maths with good programming background from a good university.

Back