• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am I wasting my time?

BCH

Hello all,

I attended West Point (Military Academy) and graduated in 2015 with a pre-med focus. While I only had a 3.1 GPA overall, I did have a 3.6 GPA in my "pre-engineering" courses which included Multivariable Calc, ODEs, and Stats in regards to Math. I would not be enrolling until the fall of 2020 and want to use my time to prepare my profile for admission to a top MFE program, acknowledging that I would still need to take courses such linear algebra among others to satisfy pre-reqs/be competitive. I understand it will take work, but I am willing to do whatever is necessary, so long as I stand a fair chance when it is all said and done. In summary, would I be wasting my time down this path? I would greatly appreciate any insight or opinions you have to offer.

You stand a chance at top B schools as they love Military types. Columbia even waive app fees on Vets. Even after a MFE you won't be as competitive against someone with a PhD in Structural Mechanics. Why bother if you can walk into Wharton, HYP cheaply and you can always pick some quant classes to quench your thirst ?

Hello all,

I attended West Point (Military Academy) and graduated in 2015 with a pre-med focus. While I only had a 3.1 GPA overall, I did have a 3.6 GPA in my "pre-engineering" courses which included Multivariable Calc, ODEs, and Stats in regards to Math. I would not be enrolling until the fall of 2020 and want to use my time to prepare my profile for admission to a top MFE program, acknowledging that I would still need to take courses such linear algebra among others to satisfy pre-reqs/be competitive. I understand it will take work, but I am willing to do whatever is necessary, so long as I stand a fair chance when it is all said and done. In summary, would I be wasting my time down this path? I would greatly appreciate any insight or opinions you have to offer.

Whatever Philip_Mitterrand said above is exactly correct.
You are ideal match for Harvard MBA

You aren't wasting your time at all. If I were you I'd start on taking all the "pure math" courses you can at a local uni in town. They shouldn't be as hard as West Point engineering but they will give you a great understanding of the concepts you're going to need to perform financial engineering. Grad schools love that too.
Make sure you take
Analysis aka Advanced Calculus
Linear Algebra
Probability

For financial engineering you can never take too much analysis so do all that you can. It's not that hard once you get started and tbh it makes all Math you encounter after that much easier. You can never take too much Probability either.
You ain't gonna need linear algebra past the 1st course but probability and statistics are crucial and actually a topology class would be really helpful for understanding their approach.

IMO I wouldn't worry about taking a programming course before you go to your MFE program since they'll teach it to you there anyway.

Back