• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Analytics/Stats Program

MEW

I've been in corporate accounting/finance world for over 15 years (I already have an MBA and am a CPA) and been wanting to switch career in management consulting with a focus in data analytics. Because of my work commitment and financial obligations, I can't afford to quit my job and go to school full time so an online program is specially attractive to me. I'm about to start the MS Predictive Analytics at Northwestern next month until I came across the Columbia MA Statistics (online), which is going to start in Fall 2013. I need both education and career advice:

1. Will getting another graduate degree in analytics or statistics help me to transition to a new career?
2. I'd like to get some suggestions, recommendations or advice to differentiate between the NU and Columbia programs.
3. Admission requirements for Columbia MA Statistics.

Thank you.

I was doing corp fin type work and the stat degree helped me transition, but that was 20 years ago. I must say that it was the second smartest move I ever made (after getting married). I did it at night and my company at the time (Bankers Trust) paid for the degree. Best of all, I was able to learn things one day and apply them the next. I was also able to submit work-related stuff for credit. Of course, that was in the day when anyone who could count to eleven with their shoes on was considered a quant.

The challenge is that there is a glut of quant expertise out there and it's getting worse. With a firm foothold already, however, you will have a great advantage - you won't have to prove your genuine interest in finance to anyone.

I'm afraid I can't help on the choice of programs. I did an MS in stat at NYU before the Courant program (where I currently am an adjunct) came to be.

You can consider looking at the Certificate Program in "Essential of Applied Predictive Analytics" being offered by International School of Engineering (INSOFE) from India. The program is conducted online and the mentors are people from Carnegie Mellon University and Stanford. You can take a look at it http://insofe.edu.in/init/default/elearning_data_scientist and see if it is suitable for your requirements.

I'm in Columbia's MA Stats program now, where did you hear you would be able to complete it online? I don't believe that's true.

As far as admission requirements/statistics, they aren't published but you can expect them to be very competitive. I asked admissions when I applied, there were ~1100-1200 applicants and ~100 accepted.

Back