• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are couses on MOOC or COSERA useful

I am just wondering about whether the university will accapt online courses provided on MOOC or COSERA. One of my classmates says that some university do not recognize those courses. I am applying for Columbia Mathematic of Financial and Michigan quantitive finance and risk management. Begging for answers whether these universities will recognize courses on MOOC or COSERA.
Thanks!!!

Hi,
I do not know whether those specifics programs you mentioned accept those courses as valid, but there is an specific part in the Columbia MFE application to list courses in Coursera, edX, etc. Therefore, I am inclined to believe that they DO value those online classes. I hope this helps.

Hi,
I do not know whether those specifics programs you mentioned accept those courses as valid, but there is an specific part in the Columbia MFE application to list courses in Coursera, edX, etc. Therefore, I am inclined to believe that they DO value those online classes. I hope this helps.

As Fernando mentioned, Columbia has also their own courses in MOOC ( Programs ) . So I would say that they do accept these.

However, you can always send an email to the respective admission department and ask more specifically about the courses themselves, by quoting the course name and maybe the contents.

That should give you a more accurate answer, as in here we'll be kind of guessing.

I am just wondering about whether the university will accapt online courses provided on MOOC or COSERA. One of my classmates says that some university do not recognize those courses. I am applying for Columbia Mathematic of Financial and Michigan quantitive finance and risk management. Begging for answers whether these universities will recognize courses on MOOC or COSERA.
Thanks!!!

Here is our perspective from the University of Michigan Quant Program: Taking a course for a graded academic credit always makes a stronger impression for us, but if your choice is between a MOOC and not learning the material at all, we would encourage you to do the MOOC.

You can always feel free to send us these questions via email (quantfinms@umich.edu). The emails you send us are not part of your application or even accessible to the reviewing faculty, so there is no need to hold back!

Back