• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best MFin/MS Fin Programs

sss

Excuse me if there's already a thread on this... if so I could not find it.

Does anybody know anything good/bad about certain programs? Here are a few schools I know have programs but do not know much else

Alabama
Auburn
Boston College
Claremont McKenna
Johns Hopkins
MIT
Princeton
U of Denver
CU-Denver
USF
U of Tampa
Vandy

Alabama - Good if you are in Alabama
Auburn - Ditto with above
Boston College - Solid in Boston, Good part time program, look at BU also
Claremont McKenna - California, good program
Johns Hopkins - Part Time, better RE program, two campuses
MIT - 80K, Merton is teaching, 2 years old, great name
Princeton - MFin, amazing placements, 75K(ish), more math than typical MSF

U of Denver - Solid in Denver
CU-Denver - Same
USF - I would look at UoF if you wanted a Florida school
U of Tampa - Working professional type program
Vandy - Great school, strong southern placement, MM and some BB

See the link in my sig for more schools.

I don't like to say "bad" because they all have their merits. If your main goal is work work the big question is where. BC will be strongest in Boston and NY. Villanova is strong in Philly and NY, Vanderbilt is strong down south and NY, Claremont will place well in Cali, Tulane will do well in energy/Texas/ South area. WUSTL is solid down south and around the school (a friend of mine goes there as says it doesn't place in NYC that much)

MIT is an amazing program, but it is brand new and very expensive. Personally, I think in a year or two it will come into it's own.

Princeton is obviously the best choice, but if you look at student profiles they all come from elite universities or have worked a lot. MSF programs are typically a 5th year or for people with 1 year exp or less. Princeton is different in the fact that you see a lot of associate level placements. It is also more math focused then other MSF programs ( It is kind of a MFE/MSF hybrid ).

UIUC and Purdue will do well in Chicago (although I have heard mixed reviews about UIUC's placement).

I could go on and on. There are a lot of great programs that have niche focus. Brandeis is very international with its program. BU has an investment masters which is targeted for working individuals who are focusing on AM.

John Hopkins is strong down in the DC area and has a night time MSF at two campuses (good for working individuals). UofFlorida has a great program, but it is all made up of Florida UG's and places mainly down south.

So like I said, no better per say, just all different. We need to know exactly where you want to work, in what capacity and what you bring to the table to make an accurate recommendation.

A have a question about the MSF program both in BC and JHU. Both of them are fulltime(JHU have a new accelerated fulltime MSF). Please share some points if you are making a choice in these two school. Thank you!

Back