• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi all, I am a maths student from USA. I was just admitted by CMU MSCF.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to enhance programming ability.

Programming Exp.: R, Python, MATLAB, Cpp

Current Work: CMU MSCF incoming student

Intended pace: Intend to complete the course by the end of the summer.

printf("Hello world");
I'm Eduardo from El Salvador and I'll be attending to QCF-GaTech this year

Objective: I want to get a solid foundation of C++ before the beginign of the master
Programming Experience: VBA ... basic Matlab and SQL
Current Work: Risk Analyst at Central Bank
Intended Pace: Can I work full time, party half time :whistle: and finish the certificate within a month?

Hello, everybody! I am Pratik.

Objective: Get a good foundation of C++ programming for MFE programs.

Programming Exp: A little R and Python

Current Work:
Associate in a research firm

Intended pace: I plan to finish the course as soon as possible.

Hi everyone! My name is Risheng Zeng.

Objective: Learn C++ for Financial Engineering

Programming experience: Worked with HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python, SAS, R, and STATA.

Current work: I am an analyst at a Fortune 100 company.

Intended pace of program:
Relatively fast. Wants to finish before end of June, probably a little unfeasible.

Hello everyone, my name is Chutian(Alexa) Wu. I'm currently major in MS Finance at Baruch College. My aim is to do the sales and trading position at the investment bank. I'm willing to make friends with you all and we could discuss the problem we faced during the study.
Objective: Learn the C++ and have a good foundation to learn courses in MFE program
Programming experience: VBA, C, R
Current work: College Assistant at Baruch College Wasserman Trading Floor
Intended pace: as soon as possible.

Feel free to connect me via LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/chutianwunyc.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my name is Gehua Zhang, a previous Baruch College Mathematics undergraduates(already graduated). I had coding backgrounds in Java, Python, C#, R, however I never took any programming classes. This time I want to have a systematic study about C++ and its applications in Quant Finance industry.
Objective: C++ language and a formal programming training.
Programming Experience: Java, C#, Python, R, matlab.
Current Work: Intern at Guosen Securities Quant Trading team as Quant Developer for TradeStation.
Intended Pace: One to two months.

Hello every one. My name is Shilo Wilson. I am currently studying for a Masters in Quantitative Methods and Modelling at Baruch. I chose that program, as I just exited the Marine Corps, and I needed a program to get the right math and computer sciences classes to help me get into a more rigorous program. I will be applying to MFE program's and Data Science programs across the city next year, and am hoping this class gives me a solid foundation in programming.

Objective: Learn C++ with specific applications to Finance, and hopefully get accepted to an MFE program or get a quantitative oriented job in Finance.

Programming Experience: Python, VBA
Current Work: Bond Research firm, not quantitatively oriented.
Intended Pace: 15 Weeks.

Hi Friends,
I am Prabin Seth from India. I am a Trader(High Frequency Trading ) by profession . I can do my quantitative analysis in R and Python. But as C/C++ has a steeper learning curve i always avoided to learn this language . But nowadays almost all the productions trading systems as well strategies are written in C/C++ when low latency system performance is required. So this time i feel that i cant escape from C/C++ anymore :( . But i am very much optimistic about this course because of the ecosystem around it. I am planning to put my best effort to complete this course successfully on time and contribute to the quantnet community as well.

Objective:
Learning C , C++, Options Pricing so that i can use these skills in my current job.
Programming Experience: Python, C++, R
Current Work: High Frequency Trader
Intended Pace: Finsh the course as soon as possible

Last edited:
Hi all, my name is Lyuang Fu. I am a actuarial science student who had a BS degree majoring in actuarial science.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE programs and application in future work.

Programming Experience.: C, R, SAS, Python, VBA

Current Work: incoming graduate statistics student

Intended pace: hope to finish the course by the end of the summer

Last edited:
Hi, all.

Objective: Learn C++ for work and possibly future MFE program.
Programming Experience: Python, R, VBA, Java
Current Work: Actuarial Analyst @ a Fintech company
Intended Pace: Not certain at this point. I want to finish by the end of July, but it may not be feasible, depending on the difficulty of this course and workload at my current position.

Feel free to add me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hochanlee/

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs and future career. (I can't learn anything from any CS courses in our school, but I know how importance it is for MFE programs. So I need it!) I am very likely to take the whole Pre-MFE programs to build up more skills and be well prepared.

Programming experience: Java and MATLAB.

Current Work: an undergraduate student at GWU, major in applied mathematics and finance

Intended pace of program: Currently taking summer courses and having an interns, but hope to complete it ASAP.

Last edited:
Hi Guys! I've been on Quantnet for a while and I'm very excited to start this course!

Objective: Learn C++ for QuantFinance graduate programs and possibly my undergraduate honors thesis.
Programming Experience: Some C in high school
Current Work: Rising Junior at a small business college, studying Math/Finance
Intended Pace: Besides a part-time research assistantship with my finance professor, I carve out the entire summer(three months) for this program and hope I could do well and aim for distinction.

Hi everyone. I am Xintong (Zoe) He, a tax associate who is curious about programming.

Objective: To learn C++ for current work(?) and future employment opportunities

Programming experience: no experience, just some basic knowledge

Current work: tax associate (focus on venture capital industry)

Intended pace of program:probably 3 months. I wish that I can finish this course before the next big tax deadline 9/15.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: C, C++, Python, Java, MATLAB

Current work: Computer Science Master Student at University of Southern California

Intended pace of program: Like as early as possible!

Hello, everyone! I am Dhananjay and I will be starting my MFE program this fall.

Objective: Get a headstart on my MFE.
Programming Experience: C++ and Java in high school. C for numerical methods during my undergrad. Basic Python.
Current Work: Currently working in construction. Making a switch to quant finance
Intended Pace: Hope to complete it by September

Back