• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can I transfer to Quantitative finance / financial engineering ?

Hi everyone,

Am an accounting bachelor degree holder with 6 years of experience in surveillance on capital markets & Insurance industry. I want earn a degree in QF/FE, so how can I shift to this career ?

Which courses I need exactly to fit in QF/FE degree requirements ?

Regards

ALI

Hi everyone,

Am an accounting bachelor degree holder with 6 years of experience in surveillance on capital markets & Insurance industry. I want earn a degree in QF/FE, so how can I shift to this career ?

Which courses I need exactly to fit in QF/FE degree requirements ?

Regards

ALI
Your background is certainly helpful, but you will need a good deal of mathematics (linear algebra, calculus, probability + statistics) and good programming skills -> good knowledge of at least one language + programming thinking. Languages such as Python or C++ is a good start to learn rigorous programming and are generally in demand, but even Matlab and R will be helpful for beginners.

I would recommend you to do some research on MFE/QF/Finance programs and see their requirements, and then to reverse-engineer your application so that your profile eventually satisfies most of these requirements. In your research, make sure to look at the program's syllabus and potential carreer opportunities after graduating. For example, a program that does not focus on math and programming won't make you a quant that easily. But perhaps will make you a good risk analyst, so it really depends on what are your goals.
Here is a good place to start your research: 2018 QuantNet Ranking of Best Financial Engineering Programs

Your background is certainly helpful, but you will need a good deal of mathematics (linear algebra, calculus, probability + statistics) and good programming skills -> good knowledge of at least one language + programming thinking. Languages such as Python or C++ is a good start to learn rigorous programming and are generally in demand, but even Matlab and R will be helpful for beginners.

I would recommend you to do some research on MFE/QF/Finance programs and see their requirements, and then to reverse-engineer your application so that your profile eventually satisfies most of these requirements. In your research, make sure to look at the program's syllabus and potential carreer opportunities after graduating. For example, a program that does not focus on math and programming won't make you a quant that easily. But perhaps will make you a good risk analyst, so it really depends on what are your goals.
Here is a good place to start your research: 2018 QuantNet Ranking of Best Financial Engineering Programs

For the University of Michigan's Quant Program, we've had at least one student with an accounting undergraduate degree be admitted to our program and do really well. The student took a couple semesters of non-degree coursework in math to fill in some of the blanks before applying. As for specific courses to take, on our application (can't speak for other programs) we ask students to indicate what courses they've taken covering the following topics. These are not hard preqs, but it's a good place to start:

Probability
Stochastic Processes
Measure Theory
Advanced Calculus
Analysis
Partial Differential Equations
Ordinary Differential Equations
Numerical Analysis
Programming
Statistics

Back