• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Choosing Courses- Data Science, Math, or Statistics?

I'm doing my MS Mathematics. Because I took grad courses in undergrad I only need one more course (3 hours) to graduate, but the terms of my Graduate funding say I can stay another academic year and they'll fund up to 8 courses. So I can't decide what I should study. I can choose these from 3 departments:

Math:
-Real Analysis 1 & 2
-Theory of ODEs (I've already studied DiffEQs as a graduate but this is more of a continuation of Analysis)
-Complex Analysis
-Theory of PDEs

Biostatistics:
-Statistical Theory 1&2 (I've already taken advanced probability/markov chain stuff so this will be easy and it looks like a good refresher for PhD studies. Plus I like statistics)
-Survival Analysis (looks interesting)
-SAS Programming/Data Management
-Categorical Data Analysis

CS:
-Artificial Intelligence
-Machine Learning
-Big Data Programming with MapReduce and Hadoop
-Data Mining
-Deep Learning
-Advanced Algorithms and Applications

I'm not pursuing a Math PhD but looking to go to another school for a PhD in Statistics. Hopefully NC State or Duke.

If I want to get hired as a quant do they care if I already know programming or is pure math coursework more important to them? Please help.

Also, let this be a lesson to everyone who's paying $75k for a Financial Engineering degree:
You can study Math or Applied Math and choose most of the MFE courses, except you get a better theoretical education (which firms like more) and you get paid to study.

This is interesting because I'm in almost the exact same situation. My undergrad was in Computational and Applied Mathematics. Now I'm doing an MS Mathematics and trying to prep for a Phd in Statistics.

Honestly I'd say take a blend of those courses you listed.

-Statistical Theory 1&2
-Real Analysis 1 & 2
-Theory of ODEs
-Machine Learning
-Big Data Programming with MapReduce and Hadoop
-Data Mining

Heading into a Phd in Statistics, I think it's best to have a solid understanding of core mathematical concepts while also getting a taste of the world of data science and statistical learning theory.

Thanks Connor.

I agree a mixture is best. I think the Math department requires me to take Complex Analysis but otherwise I think your suggestions are right on the mark.

Back