• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Classes to take for final year

Hi, I'm an undergraduate student who's interested in quant finance (obviously). I'm looking to get some advice on the math classes I should take in my final year of university.

Out of the following courses offered by my university's math department, I need a total of 2 units. These courses are either 'full' units (worth 1 unit) or 'half' units (worth 0.5). I have a choice from:

Advanced Statistics: Distribution Theory [0.5]
Advanced Statistics: Statistical Inference [0.5]
Mathematics of Finance and Valuation [0.5]
Advanced Mathematical Analysis [0.5]
Optimization Theory [0.5]
Discrete Mathematics and Algebra [1]

Statistical Inference has to be taken concurrently with Distribution Theory (not vice versa though).

Mathematics of Finance and Valuation covers stuff like continous time-modelling, multi-period models, black-scholes model to name a few. Unfortunately this course may or may not be offered by my uni depending on the demand for it.

Advanced Mathematical Analysis is 'further real analysis' according to my profs. Complex analysis isn't included.

So, basically, I want to find out:

1. Which of these courses, if any, are 'essential' for a wannabe quant?
  2. Suggestions for best combination of courses to take.

Thanks.

Real analysis (complex analysis is nice but not too relevant, just yet).
Numerical analysis/methods
Optimisation

This is the basis. Everything else uses them.

Last edited:
Back