• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF? Second Master?

Is it worth to get a second master?

• Yes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on the CMU MSCF offer. I graduated from Columbia's MSOR program two years ago, and found myself a technology rotational program in a BB IB. Starting last year, I have been looking for quant jobs and found no luck in the market back then. So, I applied for the CMU's MSCF program, and got the offer. Now I have recently switched to a middle office supporting role with little technical skill required, but I'm hoping to make a transition later down the road from internal transfer into the from office.

So, my question would be, is it really worth to go to the CMU's MSCF program to get a second chance hoping for a quant intern leading to a full time? Since my first master is very similar to a FE program, what would the employer's perspective be if I do another FE program even though it's one of the best? Would they see that as a downfall on my resume?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Dyleon

It's a $100,000 question. What is the likelyhood that you will get a better job second time around? A lot of factor is out of your control.
You obviously will do this part-time and by the time you graduate, 2-3 years down the road, you may already get a better job in your own.
The only way I see this makes sense is to work FT, going to school PT and have the tuition reimbursed by your employer. I don't think it's feasible given that you already have a similar degree.

Are you going to take on a student loan for this?

Back