• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE- Interview invites email are out

It looks like we can expect to wait a little longer (from their faq):

When will I know the decision?
The M.S. programs (Financial Engineering, Management Science & Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research) applicants for the Fall semester will be notified of their admissions decision or contacted for more information mid-March to late-April.

Does anyone know if they will be conducting a second round of interviews?
Thanks for the update. I guess one does not get too much chance even he/she got an interview this year.

Hi guys, is this interview a form of shortisting candidates??? or does it serve as an additional requirement. Cause based on past forums having an interview seems like a good sign, but not so for this year :/

"they" all say that so many people posted on Tracker that they received interview invites this year but I counted, only 40 something indicted "INT+Date" on Tracker. given each year there are 80 something admits, I don't think 40 interviews are that many, as far as shown on Tracker. we don't have other sources to verify

"they" all say that so many people posted on Tracker that they received interview invites this year but I counted, only 40 something indicted "INT+Date" on Tracker. given each year there are 80 something admits, I don't think 40 interviews are that many, as far as shown on Tracker. we don't have other sources to verify
usually about 15%-20% of people will update on tracker. this gives at least 200 interviews

Last edited:
that's being said the interviews yield 40% offers, which is in line with other schools, if not with previous years

it seems like the interview invites are given out to everyone...am i right??

it seems like the interview invites are given out to everyone...am i right??
if everyone was given an interview, I think it will be too much work for the admission committee. Also it would make the pre-selections for interviews, i.e. CV scan, score cutoff etc worthless

also just out of curiosity where did you get the 15%-20% ratio?
it is just my instinct...
but I think this is a reasonable range, since I know a lot of Chinese students who got admitted to top programs but never update on the tracker. On another Chinese forum, there are roughly 100 Chinese applicants got the interviews from MFE but almost no one update on the tracker

hi guys Ive been experiencing alot of technical problems regarding my virtual interview....does anyone face this problem?

i personally didn't. are you still doing your interview? Good luck! Maybe email the admission committee and see what they can do.

Someone face the technical problem got an skype interview from a current student

Just received an offer! Good luck to everyone awaiting!

I got an email saying that the review process is completed and the result is available on the online portal. Then I saw an "offer" tab on the portal.

Congratulations to everyone!

Penny for your thoughts.
What are you making of this?
What other offers do you have?
Which one are you more inclined to accept?

I really like Columbia, but the admission process has been hmmm …shall we say a little impersonal? A little curt even?

I mean in all the other places that I applied the admission team was super kind. In every university there was a “face”, someone you could write to, someone to interview you, someone to talk to you or write to you to encourage you to join the program. Linda, Diane, and Christina in Berkeley, Gwen in CMU, Michelle in NYU.

Columbia has felt like a byzantine bureaucracy. I literally don’t even know the name of anyone in the admission team, since all the emails are signed “IEOR team” or whatever and most of them have been automated anyway. They took ages to respond, with little to no communication and now they give us (or just me?) like 10 days to respond?

Frankly they come off as a little full of themselves. I don’t know if Columbia thinks can get away with this because they are an Ivy or whatever (and maybe thay can, to be honest). Or maybe it is because it is an engineering department? Or is it just me being over-sensitive?

In any case, I hope the treatment we have received as applicants is not indicative of the treatment we would receive as students.

What do you think about this?

Does anyone know if all the offers has been out for Columbia MFE?

So the admitted students have been asked to pay a certain amount to confirm their admission. And the deadline for that is 15th March. Considering that, I believe there will be one more round of admissions if students reject this offer.

Back