• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE- Interview invites email are out

Congratulations to everyone!

Penny for your thoughts.
What are you making of this?
What other offers do you have?
Which one are you more inclined to accept?

I really like Columbia, but the admission process has been hmmm …shall we say a little impersonal? A little curt even?

I mean in all the other places that I applied the admission team was super kind. In every university there was a “face”, someone you could write to, someone to interview you, someone to talk to you or write to you to encourage you to join the program. Linda, Diane, and Christina in Berkeley, Gwen in CMU, Michelle in NYU.

Columbia has felt like a byzantine bureaucracy. I literally don’t even know the name of anyone in the admission team, since all the emails are signed “IEOR team” or whatever and most of them have been automated anyway. They took ages to respond, with little to no communication and now they give us (or just me?) like 10 days to respond?

Frankly they come off as a little full of themselves. I don’t know if Columbia thinks can get away with this because they are an Ivy or whatever (and maybe thay can, to be honest). Or maybe it is because it is an engineering department? Or is it just me being over-sensitive?

In any case, I hope the treatment we have received as applicants is not indicative of the treatment we would receive as students.

What do you think about this?

Well, the behavior of admission committee is generally not a great concern I feel. The application volumes are high and colleges are selective. So being a Gwen to a student who is going to be rejected with 0.9 probability will be a waste of resource. I have applied for computer science programs previously and they are the pinnacle of competition. And there is no human contact until you get an offer.

What matters is how the Gwens, Lindas and Michelle of Columbia are going to behave with you after the offer.

Give your inputs to this.

Congratulations to all being admitted.
Did anyone call them to ask whether they sent out all admission?

FYI, admission said they didn't send out all decisions. Hope it help.

To all those who have received an admit, there is a WeChat group for discussions among students.

Back