• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE vs. CMU MSCF

Hello All,

There have been a number of posts asking for advice on choosing one program or another so I'm hoping to limit this to a very focused discussion. I have been accepted to both the CMU MSCF in NYC and Columbia MFE. I have a B.S. is physics and an M.S. in mechanical engineering from a top tier US University. I am an american citizen with two years of experience in the high-tech industry, no experience in finance and pretty open to various quant job roles after graduation. Both programs look great from all I can read, but I wanted some insight from people who attended either program or industry professionals who have had first hand experience recruiting from both schools. I'd like to hear about overall satisfaction with the program (curriculum, teachers, career services, campus, facilities, finding a job, etc) or overall satisfaction of recruiters with students coming out of either program. Looking for mostly anecdotal insights from members directly involved with one/both programs, please no arguments based on info from school websites, hearsay, and so forth...I've read all that :D

Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Although I dont fall in neither category of ppl u mentioned, my impression/experience says CMU MSCF will be more fruitful choice

Hi sgupt, could you elaborate more on your experience with the CMU MSCF? I've talked to one alumnus of each program and am trying to get a larger sample size of people who have first-hand interaction with the program.

Thanks!

I'd like to hear about overall satisfaction with the program (curriculum, teachers, career services, campus, facilities, finding a job, etc) or overall satisfaction of recruiters with students coming out of either program. Looking for mostly anecdotal insights from members directly involved with one/both programs, please no arguments based on info from school websites, hearsay, and so forth...I've read all that :D

full disclosure: i graduated from cmu.

you really only have one choice here.

(yes, andy, i will get around to writing a review eventually)

overall, very satisfied. curriculum good on the whole; touches on a lot of different subjects and exposes you to a broad array of disciplines, techniques, ideas. when a few courses were lacking something or could have used some updating, the professors were very receptive to feedback and have since incorporated changes in their courses (as soon as the next time the courses were taught).

professors were fantastic. i come from a small-school background so i'm used to a lot of interaction. we became friends with most professors outside of class, and almost all would stop and take the time after class to ask us how things were going (program-wide) or how the job search was faring. that said, there may have been a dud or two among the bunch, but with 25 courses, it's nigh impossible to bat 1.000.

career services were stellar. i met and spoke with all three dedicated career counselors on many occasions. a ton of companies post positions (trading, risk, research, quant, etc.). i think that most of my peers ended up at BBs in a multitude of roles. career services will be what you make of it...if you go in looking for help and are receptive to feedback, you'll go far. even if you aren't receptive, placement is great.

campus facilities...new york is fine. it doesn't have a true campus feel like pittsburgh, but it's still very comfortable and welcoming. the staff members in ny are great.

finding a job was fine. had a bunch of interviews, ended up with two offers for an internship. the internship converted. currently working and am happy.

on the other hand, i do have some experience with columbia. campus-wise, i have taken courses there, and it's not exactly in the nicest part of the island. on the application front, i did apply to the msfe program and was told via email to expect a decision in five weeks or so. after being admitted to my first choice program (about twelve weeks after being told to wait five), i emailed the adcom to ask them to please withdraw my application. they emailed me within a few days to tell me i had been rejected (have to keep the yield number up somehow, i guess) and then emailed me again the following week to tell me a final decision on my application had not yet been made. compare and contrast that with cmu both sticking to its decision deadline and providing such a professional welcome package.

like i said...you really only have one choice.

good luck, and feel free to pm me with any other questions.

edit: removed information about a friend who studied at columbia who might not have wanted me to share anything.

Thanks. This is what I like to read. Information from someone who has first hand experience with a specific program, better yet, someone I can vouch for such association.
I've dealt with a good number of people from each program so I have some idea on the quality of students and program but nothing beats hearing from the students.

no problem. and the offer stands if you have any other questions you'd like answered.

maybe i should have thrown in that you will work very, very, very, very hard as a con... :)

Sending a PM now - I would hope the working very hard con would be part of any top tier program.... :)

mfegrad has done the good work..so i dont need to explain further..i have a few friends from cmu who had similar view about the program..

Back