• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE vs NYU MFin vs CMU Mscf vs UCB MFE for a job as a trader/PM/AM

Hi guys, which one is the best to find a career in a buy side firm, not a Bank where your growth as a quant analyst is highly limited.

On buy side, I've seen a lot of resumes come through from CMU, UCB, and NYU MathFin. However, I question your assumption around limited growth within a bank. The industry is changing, for sure, with banks in the US having more limited balance sheets. However, a lot of the changes create demand for the same skill sets. Check the reviews for the different programs - they really do provide a lot of insight into the programs. It's a small sample for each school, but you can get a sense of the different career paths.

Thanks, I already work in a bank. I would rather not say, but unfortunately politics wins over hard work easily. Want to work on the buy side, in a challenging role, with less or no politics, performance driven environment..

Also by your answer I assume Columbia is the least favoured then among them 4? I believe I might just have offers from Columbia, Chicago and Georgia T. Chances of offers from NYU, UCB, CMU are minimal

Also by your answer I assume Columbia is the least favoured then among them 4? I believe I might just have offers from Columbia, Chicago and Georgia T. Chances of offers from NYU, UCB, CMU are minimal

Chicago seems to have a better chance to go into local buy sides. From what I have experienced, it seems your resume and experience have more influences than which program you go to provided that it is a target program.

I see thanks.

Between Chicago and Columbia, all else equal, which one is better?

Thanks, I already work in a bank. I would rather not say, but unfortunately politics wins over hard work easily. Want to work on the buy side, in a challenging role, with less or no politics, performance driven environment..
I hope you find such a role! Politics are everywhere though, and I suspect you might be disappointed. Individuals with low compentence have to rely totally on politics, while the highly skilled can focus on the actual work. Education can help move one into the latter category. But success in a firm requires figuring out both the work aspect and the political aspect.

I don't think Chicago is of the same tier of Columbia MFE.

Just to add MIT MFin to the discussion as well.
How would rate CMU, Berkeley, MIT, Columbia, and Chicago? For a buy side role

Back