• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

compiling c with micr visual c++ 2008

Hi all,

I'd like to know if i can use the microsoft visual C++ 2008 express edition to compile a C language program?

I have just downloaded the visual c++ program this morning. I tried to compile the C language program but I couldn't. Please help me.

Also I want to know how to use microsoft visual C++ to compile C language programs

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

"Crazy Directories in VC++ ?"
What ?
OK, I'm an old git, and given the audience of this forum, I suspect this anecdote is actually older than you are.

I first did C in 1982 (yes, really).
At one lecture the head of the CS department gave a quite passionate attack on students who were dumb enough to keep their files in one directory. The model he advocated, one standard in UNIX development is almost identical to the Microsoft way. Indeed MS Visual Studio still follows much the same directory pattern found in Unix and open source development.

In any case you don't have to use it, and it is wholly customisable and scriptable.

As someone who teaches C++ to quants, I have never found the standard directories created to be an issue to any newbie ever. The only person who has had a problem is me, since my courses are videoed at a lower resolution than my laptop supports, and fitting them on the screen can irritate.

But be aware that Microsoft C++ and Microsoft C are not the same thing.
That is because C and C++ are different languages that accept different syntaxes and do different things with them.

VC++ is smart enough to work out that a .C file should be compiled differently to .CPP
However, you can over ride that assumption.

Yes, it is older than me. ATM, I'm using Bloodshed C++, so I can skip right to the coding.

I was born in 1986 BTW. Still one year of school left.

I've used both Bloodshed and VC++. I find the debugging in Bloodshed to be a pain. (e.g. adding breakpoints while running isn't possible and getting locals, especially from objects, is quite difficult)

Creating a project is a 30 second exercise, and pulling up an old one is instantaneous so I would say I can also "skip right to coding".

Back