• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Comprehensive Path To Become A Quant

Dev

Hi,

I'm Dev. I have completed engineering in Computer Science in 2015. Since then, I'm working as a developer( web development). I'm highly interested to make a career in Quant Finance. Coming from an engineering background, I have maths skills and programming skills( PHP, HTML, C). But, I have no finance knowledge.

I'm planning to do masters in Financial Engineering/ Quant Finance. Could anybody please suggest a comprehensive path to become a Quant?

I'm going to apply next year. As I have few months in hand, please suggest how to build a profile, what skills to develop and what else to look upon to get acceptance from top universities.

Hoping to hear back suggestions.

Thanks.

I have maths skills
Which ones?

To be honest, PHP and HTML, Web dev are not very useful in comp finance. They are GUI tools. If you are very good at C, that is positive I suppose.

Last edited:
Hi Dev.
If you say you're going to apply next year, my best advice is to find a local college and take undergraduate math theory courses. They will make your graduate school classes a lot easier. A lot of the material relevant to quant finance (stochastic calculus) assumes a high knowledge of theoretical math to be well understood. It will also make your applications a lot more appealing.
Good luck.

Back