• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Computer Science major & Finance major

Hi,

I'm currently pursuing a Computer Science major and a minor in Mathematics at a state school. I'm going to become a junior this fall. And my main goal is to become a Quantitative Developer. So I recently got the idea to major in Finance as well. I talked to an advisor and he said I can't double major I'd have to purse two bachelor’s degrees. I don't know how long this would take though.

Would it be beneficial to have both degrees when I apply for Grad school and a job afterwards?
Is it worth the time? Should I just get a BSCS?

More info about me
* Current GPA: 3.5
* I don't know much about finance, I've taken micro economics
* Math classes taken: Calculus up to multi variable calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, descriptive and inferential statistics

Thank you

IMO, it would be good if you can get bachelors in math and computer science and gain some experience in finance field. That would give you a great advantage while applying for MFE

Thanks
Babinu

Having a second major/degree in finance will probably help your application. That said, I don't think the incremental probability of acceptance is worth the extra effort you'd put in to get the degree. Now, a double CS + Math degree would probably be worth the effort.

As a finance major, you'd learn a little about corp. finance, how various options work (buying vs writing puts/calls), black-scholes vs binomial models, some stats, market theory, etc (basic stuff). All that is great and all, but you can learn all of it outside the classroom. You'd be better off if you can get a finance related internship.

If I were in your position, I would start applying for finance internships (remember, you may have to land an unpaid one before your resume is strong enough for a paid position). If you can't land a finance internship by the time you're a senior, then maybe consider the double major/degree option. Maybe sign up for corp. fin. elective to put on your resume to help land that first position. Just the two cents of a finance major + MBA candidate, also note that I am not in an MFE program.

My advisor told me that I could minor in business administration instead. And I could use the business minor to take the courses that are prerequisites for the MBA program. The minor includes courses like Financial Accounting and Principles of Finance.

Back