• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Conditional offer from UCB

Hi all,

I got a conditional offer from UCB a few days ago. One of the requirement is: Successfully complete coursework in Partial Differential Equations, Python, and C++ at any accredited institution (Due Date: August 31, 2015).

They emphasized that the C++ and PDE must be taken at an accredited institution for a letter grade, coursera or MFE OCW does not meet this.

So I have checked other credit-bearing courses from Columbia Video Network. It takes more than 5k for a course. That is too expensive!!!!!!

So any idea where else I can take the courses? Thanks!!

It seems to be an indirect way on their part to ask you to take the pre-MFE courses. Tell them you'll take them to satisfy the C++ and PDE requirements come Jan 2016 and you should be in good shape.

It seems to be an indirect way on their part to ask you to take the pre-MFE courses. Tell them you'll take them to satisfy the C++ and PDE requirements come Jan 2016 and you should be in good shape.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, taking the pre-courses is another requirement for me....... As it seems that there are some overlaps between pre-courses in Berkeley and taking PDE and C++ in accredited institutions, I have emailed them to check whether it is possible to finish either one of the requirement. However, they confirmed that I should finish both. Still try to figure out why I should take two C++ courses. Maybe I haven't any C++ experience before?

Two C++ courses would be too much. The UCB MFE courses were pretty good in my opinion. Some great assignments reinforcing the concepts taught during the course. It should be more than sufficient alone if you do it sincerely let alone another course.

You could take it at Berkeley extension or some community college near where you live.

Two C++ courses would be too much. The UCB MFE courses were pretty good in my opinion. Some great assignments reinforcing the concepts taught during the course. It should be more than sufficient alone if you do it sincerely let alone another course.

You could take it at Berkeley extension or some community college near where you live.

I think so too and have emailed them to argue about this. Hope they can change the requirement, which could save me a lot of time and money.:)

Hi all,

I got a conditional offer from UCB a few days ago. One of the requirement is: Successfully complete coursework in Partial Differential Equations, Python, and C++ at any accredited institution (Due Date: August 31, 2015).

They emphasized that the C++ and PDE must be taken at an accredited institution for a letter grade, coursera or MFE OCW does not meet this.

So I have checked other credit-bearing courses from Columbia Video Network. It takes more than 5k for a course. That is too expensive!!!!!!

If you go to UCB, you are going to spend over $80-100k in tuition and living costs. $5k per course seems to be a minor investment keeping that in mind.

If you go to UCB, you are going to spend over $80-100k in tuition and living costs. $5k per course seems to be a minor investment keeping that in mind.

Second this. More like 100K all-in. Also max loan an int'l student can take without cosigner is 50K if your lucky which means the remaining amount including interest needs to be repaid post tax perhaps even including currency risk - Daunting task!!

Congratulations! I guess we will be classmates in 2016.

I got a similar coursework requirement from UCB MFE. I was asked to take one advanced stats course and one econometrics course at any accredited institution or online.

I am hoping I am allowed to complete this by taking courses on Coursera.

Congratulations! I guess we will be classmates in 2016.

I got a similar coursework requirement from UCB MFE. I was asked to take one advanced stats course and one econometrics course at any accredited institution or online.

I am hoping I am allowed to complete this by taking courses on Coursera.

Hi wjkaka, they actually said you could take the courses from online course webs in your offer letter? I emailed them to check whether Coursera is feasible. And their reply is negative.

Hi wjkaka, they actually said you could take the courses from online course webs in your offer letter? I emailed them to check whether Coursera is feasible. And their reply is negative.
They have not replied yet. But it was indicated clearly on my letter that "online" is an option. I hope I would not have to go back to the physical classrooms ... at least not in this year.

Last edited:
Second this. More like 100K all-in. Also max loan an int'l student can take without cosigner is 50K if your lucky which means the remaining amount including interest needs to be repaid post tax perhaps even including currency risk - Daunting task!!

Does this still apply 50K is alot. That would pretty much cover me. The rest isn't much.

Hi all,

Suck it up and fork out the 5K, the whole point of MFE is to get a good job coming out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Back