• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Contracts: Long and Short Positions

I know that the payoff from a long position in a forward contract on one unit of an asset is ( S_T - K ) and the payoff from a short position in a forward contract on one unit of an asset is ( K-S_T )

I am not sure that I really understand this. Why, for example, does the value of a long position become positive, and the value of a short position become negative if the price of the asset rises sharply?

Thanks

First, it's important to understand what a short position is. You are borrowing a security from a broker, and selling it, then hoping the later you can buy it back for a cheaper price to pay back the broker and keep the difference.

For example, let's imagine that we have an account in US dollars. Let's say that presently, one contract of euros costs $130,000, but we think that in the future, the cost of one contract will go down to $120,000. So, we borrow one contract from our broker, and sell it at the current market price. Lo and behold, our speculations were correct, and one week later the cost of one contract has dropped to $120,000.

Since we owe our broker (who we originally borrowed the contract from) one contract, we buy it at the market price of $120,000 to return to him, and pocket the $10,000 difference.

Now, imagine if one week later the price had actually RISEN to $140,000. We still owe our broker one contract, and now it's going to cost us an additional $10,000 to buy it in the market.

That is why the value of a short position decreases as the price of the asset increases.

Back