• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell FE, NYU MathFin, or Uchicago MPCS?

hello,

i got accepted to cornell fe, NYU math fin, and uchicago masters program in CS (Not FE). currently torn between cornell and uchicago.

I want to do one of these things
1.be a dev and strat for a algorithmic trading
2. do phD in CS for artificial intelligence.

What do the folks of this forum think? I really like CS but i'm nervous about the MPCS since it seems in it's early stages and somewhat separated from the chicago CS phd department.
Thanks

Why not NYU? It offers algo trading related courses with fair amount of internships and full-time opportunities. You also would be able to take data science classes since they are under the same department. And NYU's data science is certainly not bad at all.

NYU definitely. It's the best.

Can I quickly ask how much time did it take for your decision to come through for NYU (since application)?

I think around 3 months?
Since I got into NYU Tandon CS part time, another option for me is NYU mathfin part time + NYU tandon CS part time if i could somehow manage that. Would2 part time degrees at nyu be possible (time based) or definitely not?

what are your reasons for NYU over the others, other than the ranking on this site?

I think around 3 months?
Since I got into NYU Tandon CS part time, another option for me is NYU mathfin part time + NYU tandon CS part time if i could somehow manage that. Would2 part time degrees at nyu be possible (time based) or definitely not?
To do NYU/Courant and NYU/Tandon, I think you'd need the consent of Petter and Peter, respectively. I'm not sure they would grant it.

Your paths are quite divergent. NYU Fin Math/Cornell FE looks like a smarter bet even though PhD in CS your end goal. PhD in CS is no cake eating excercise and you have to strongly consider the fact that if you have to drop out of PhD which masters degree will market you better for jobs. Look it as a pure hedge.

Cornell FE is no match for NYU Math Fin. Chicago seem like a 9 months professional program. I don't know how much depth you can gain in 9 months nor Chicago is know for its CS dept if you plan to leverage it for PhD admissions. In fact UC schools have better CS programs than Chicago.

hello,

i got accepted to cornell fe, NYU math fin, and uchicago masters program in CS (Not FE). currently torn between cornell and uchicago.

I want to do one of these things
1.be a dev and strat for a algorithmic trading
2. do phD in CS for artificial intelligence.

What do the folks of this forum think? I really like CS but i'm nervous about the MPCS since it seems in it's early stages and somewhat separated from the chicago CS phd department.
Thanks

Your paths are quite divergent. NYU Fin Math/Cornell FE looks like a smarter bet even though PhD in CS your end goal. PhD in CS is no cake eating excercise and you have to strongly consider the fact that if you have to drop out of PhD which masters degree will market you better for jobs. Look it as a pure hedge.

Cornell FE is no match for NYU Math Fin. Chicago seem like a 9 months professional program. I don't know how much depth you can gain in 9 months nor Chicago is know for its CS dept if you plan to leverage it for PhD admissions. In fact UC schools have better CS programs than Chicago.
Hey please can you elaborate w.r.t. Cornell and NYU. Which is better, I didn't understand, will help me make some decisions.

It takes years to develop an ecosystem- signing up star faculties, aluminis, industry connections, employer awareness etc. It's a slow evolutionary process and by signing up into an MFE program you are riding the coattail effect. NYU Fin Math is much more established and I presume Cornell FE is still an evolving platform.

Thanks, good to hear that. Have high hopes for NYU MFin results for my application. Fingers crossed.

It takes years to develop an ecosystem- signing up star faculties, aluminis, industry connections, employer awareness etc. It's a slow evolutionary process and by signing up into an MFE program you are riding the coattail effect. NYU Fin Math is much more established and I presume Cornell FE is still an evolving platform.

Thanks for the info.

Back