• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell MFE vs. CMU MSCF

What one you would prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi guys,

Just received offers from these two program. I am having a hard time to choose which one to go. My future career goal is desk quant/strats. I know CMU is a god-like quant finance program for traders, but I actually prefer a quant research and strategy type job. I like developing models and strategies more than trading. So should I still consider CMU as my best choice?

Thank you guys so much!

Hi guys,

Just received offers from these two program. I am having a hard time to choose which one to go. My future career goal is desk quant/strats. I know CMU is a god-like quant finance program for traders, but I actually prefer a quant research and strategy type job. I like developing models and strategies more than trading. So should I still consider CMU as my best choice?

Thank you guys so much!

Two questions: are you receiving any aids from either of these two programs? Are you attending CMU's NY campus or Pittsburgh?

hows that relevent?

Why not?? If CMU gave her substantial aid, it's an easy call. After all, the curriculum at two places are nearly the same, with CMU's emphasis on mathematical rigor would come out as an edge. The finance world is moving to data science as well, so having a solid math + CS preparation that is relevant to Finance would give her an edge over her competitors when it comes to job search.

With no aid, I would still go with CMU's MSCF rather than Cornell's MFE (unless Cornell's MFE offers you aid, then you should go with Cornell). But assuming both places don't give her aid, if she ended up choosing Cornell, it won't be a disaster. After all, it's up to YOU to get the job...The school only gives her potential connections through its alumni base (you have to make those connections too, so it really varies person by person) and maybe a career fair filled with prestigious companies (but career fair is nearly useless, nowadays. I heard that from many people attending career fair over the last couple of years...) One thing I would like to point out is: Two Sigma recently opens the hub at Cornell's Engineering school, so if that's the firm you are absolutely sure you want to work at, then go with Cornell. The PhD program at Cornell's ORIE is stronger than CMU's Tepper, so if you plan to pursue a PhD later on in the OR/OM/IE area, Cornell would help A LOT.

Two questions: are you receiving any aids from either of these two programs? Are you attending CMU's NY campus or Pittsburgh?

Hi, thank you so much for such a comprehensive explanation. I didn't receive any aid from either program, but tuition fee is not really my concern. As for CMU's campus, I chose NYC campus. Actually, PhD could be my concern because I prefer research type job. A PhD could be necessary in the future.

Hi, thank you so much for such a comprehensive explanation. I didn't receive any aid from either program, but tuition fee is not really my concern. As for CMU's campus, I chose NYC campus. Actually, PhD could be my concern because I prefer research type job. A PhD could be necessary in the future.

Ah, nice to know your plan:) But PhD in what? I think Cornell's MFE is a no-brainer choice if you want to pursue a PhD in ANY engineering-related field. And did you know you don't need to get a PhD degree to get a research type job (it's just harder)? Good luck, and let me know what you ended up choosing, if you don't mind:)

Ah, nice to know your plan:) But PhD in what? I think Cornell's MFE is a no-brainer choice if you want to pursue a PhD in ANY engineering-related field. And did you know you don't need to get a PhD degree to get a research type job (it's just harder)? Good luck, and let me know what you ended up choosing, if you don't mind:)
Definitely! as for right now, I prefer CMU more than Cornell since I have consulted two Cornell MFE people. They even recommend me CMU. For PhD, I would go for a Data Science related field (IF I am gonna do this). It's good to know that I can still do some research type job with a Master degree. Really appreciate your help! I will update with you what I end up with!

Hi! I have ended up with choosing CMU program at NY campus. Really appreciate your advices and helps. I do prefer the industry more than academia. In the future, I would probably go for a PhD if I realize my knowledge cannot handle my career goals. Thanks again!

Is it really this one sided towards CMU over Cornell? If you considered a longer time horizon, could the "Ivy" status of Cornell help you move into more senior roles or switch career paths more easily? Or is CMU really just stronger than Cornell, no question

Back