• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE CQF before MFE??? or just Pre-MFE before MFE

Hi! this page is great! many questions i had in mind were solved through many threads posted here. But now I have a big "personal" issue. For what I've read mathematical and programming skills are the most important requirements for entering any program of financial engineering. Well, I am from Bolivia, I have a major in finance and I'm sooooo interested in doing a MFE at Baruch, I love this area of finance. On my major I had three courses of mathematics which were calculus and some linear algebra. Also I had statistics with some probabilistic topics covered on it. Despite I had all this courses I dont feel Im prepared to do a MFE, since I didnt have any course relative to programming (I've been learning on my own but it's kind of difficult without guidance) That's why I was planning to take the CQF (because of the mathematical background) and then take the MFE. I know they both have a lot in common, but is it a good choice to do both? I also know about the preMFE courses and the online c++ programming that baruch offers...is it enough in terms of areas covered by each program?...I'm really looking to take the MFE

thanks for the answer! anyway what advice would you give to someone with same background as me...Oh and also what online programas would you recommend and books since it's hard for me to attend any courses in person outside my country

Thanks!

You can look up Netmath for online courses. I just completed ordinary differential equations and it was pretty good. I recommend it if you're looking to get more math. Getting a job in finance, taking more math courses, and learning C++ will make you a good candidate.

Actually I have a job in finance in Bolivia, however the market is still developing slowly so my experience might not be relevant if I apply for a job outside Bolivia...I have the idea of many finance concepts of my country and of more developed markets and the part I love the most is the quantitative one so thats why i got interested in becoming a quant.
thanks for the advice i will take a look to netmath and i will be looking for courses in c++ do you recommend any course online? well, besides baruch's are there any other courses that could help to improve my profile?...is a PhD necessary to get a position in the market? .....how difficult is to get an internship in a BB or HF?....
once again thanks a lot! im clearing my doubts now with your answers guys :)

Back