• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CS Vs Physics

Hi all, this is my first post here. I have a situation and I thought the best thing to do is to seek your advice.

I'm a math major and I have taken the basic courses (algebra X4, calc 3, ra, ca, top, ode, pde, etc). I have to choose a specialization between CS & Physics. I'm planning to apply for a couple of Applied Math PhD and a bunch of Statistics MS as safeties. I'm interested in Mathematical Finance/ Engineering areas, for that purpose which would be more useful - CS or Physics?

For CS, I have to take 8 courses, among which only 2 are programming, the rest are theoretical CS courses.
For Physics, I have to take the usual physics courses in addition I can also take the 2 programming courses that I can take if I opt for CS specialization.

In this case which would be a better fit for my interests?

I'd really appreciate any input, thanks.

Hi guys, I apologize if this question has been asked already, I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Can someone please advice me on this?

It's tough for me to give unbiased advice, having been a physics major in undergrad. If I were to do it over, I'd probably try to take more CS courses, but remain physics.

The thing is, technology is leverage for skill. Solving a hard problem is great, but if you can abstract and automate that, you've really multiplied your productivity.

Programming is the baseline, but some theoretical CS does help. For example, using higher order functions is another great multiplier. And knowing something of algorithms helps you figure out why your code might be running very slow.

For CS, I have to take 8 courses, among which only 2 are programming, the rest are theoretical CS courses.

What are the theory courses? One or two courses in data structures and algorithms will serve you well. Any courses covering lambda calculus and functional programming will serve you well. A course on programming languages that traces the evolution of languages and programming constructs, as well as the differences and similarities between languages will serve you well.

Thanks for the reply guys.

For CS I have to take the following compulsory courses:
Prog in Haskell
Prog in Python & C
Design & Analysis of Algos
Automata Theory & Verification
Prog Language Concepts
Mathematical Logic in CS (PhD level intro course)
I can also take optional courses in Data Mining, Game Theory, Computational Geometry, etc,. but this list is not exhaustive)

For Physics (2 courses each):
Classical Mech
Quantum Mech
Electromagnetism
Statistical Mech
Mathematical Methods in Phy X3 (ODE, PDE, LA, CA, Fourier Analysis, Optimization, Groups, Numerical Analysis, etc,.)

Given this, which would suit my future interests well? I always thought Physics would be a better fit because of my given interest in FE, I was really surprised to see that TCS can be helpful too, beyond the programming knowledge.

Thanks again for your responses.

For CS I have to take the following compulsory courses:
Prog in Haskell
Prog in Python & C
Design & Analysis of Algos
Automata Theory & Verification
Prog Language Concepts
Mathematical Logic in CS (PhD level intro course)
I can also take optional courses in Data Mining, Game Theory, Computational Geometry, etc,. but this list is not exhaustive)

Haskell, Python, and C are core. Algos is core. Prog language concepts is core. If there's an optional course in numerical methods, consider that core. With this kind of background, assimilated at the proper pace (i.e., not rushed), you'll be head and shoulders above those who've taken a hurried course or two in C++.

Back