• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Dream Job or Dream Grad School

Hello Everyone!

I don't know if anyone will read this but might as well give it a shot. I have already accepted a dream opportunity for me. I would be working in the Asset Management/Private Banking group at a renowned BB. My long term goal is to start my own investment management firm or work on the buy side. However, I just got accepted into the Masters in Finance program at MIT. Both are extremely good opportunities, but I don't know which path will help me end up to my main goal.

Does anyone have any advice, or were in a similar situation?

If the job is like front office job, then take the job. Mit mfin is a waste of money for anyone who already has a job offer in BB. Very few students of the program got job offers in front office. Most of them are in consulting roles. The students are mostly international. The domestic students are mostly likely the ones who do not have great job offers or studied something else for undergrad. This degree does not elevate you for higher pay jobs.
So if your job is not some back or middle office position then work for a few years and take mba program. Much better career path.

Definitely go with the job. You go to school for more job opportunities. If you are doing your dream job already, going to school is a waste of time/money.

Plus, you can always go to school later. If you can get the MIT admission right now, you will most certainly get it with a few years of experience. Maybe you will get into even better programs (say MBA in Slogan).

True but what I've heard from many people is that it's very hard to switch from Private Banking to a buy side and if I want to work in some quantitative role, wouldn't MIT make more sense?

No! Mit mfin is not quantitative at all! It is very flexible program. Also having mit mfin is not gonna help you to get a buyside job either. As a graduate of this program you are competing with undergrad students. And buyside don't really take undergrads. I don't think it is worthy 100k for a slim chance of getting buyside job

I take a quick look at their 2014 placement report. I have to say, not many buy-side job to be found. Salary is not that impressive also. Mean salary is 75,000 or so. Unless your new job pays significantly lower than 75,000 (in that case I don't this job should be your dream job), you should not even consider going to MIT.

I take a quick look at their 2014 placement report. I have to say, not many buy-side job to be found. Salary is not that impressive also. Mean salary is 75,000 or so. Unless your new job pays significantly lower than 75,000 (in that case I don't this job should be your dream job), you should not even consider going to MIT.
I agree it's 75K but I just realized most banks increased their salary only this year. I don't know why I'm just having a difficult time with deciding against MIT

I agree it's 75K but I just realized most banks increased their salary only this year. I don't know why I'm just having a difficult time with deciding against MIT
Take MIT then. Don't sweat it. You might or might not find a job you like after you are done.

OTOH, if you take the job and it doesn't work out (you will know fairly quickly), you can always apply to MIT. I'm sure they will be more than willing to take your money.

I also say take the job - why pay 100k to get the same job?

That being said the MFin employment report has ~20% asset management placement and a quick google search of some of the names on the report will show quite a few of them are alternative investment funds....

Back