• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Entry into Finance - With an Engineering Ph.D

I am a Researcher working in the field of Computational modeling in academia. I have a Ph.D in Engineering. 36 yrs old with family.

Recently, I have become highly fascinated with financial markets and I am purely attracted to Asset management/Equit research part of the finance and value investing. I am planning to take some online finance courses first, but now feel that CFA would be best for the knowledge.

I am wondering about the best paths to break into finance. My long term goal is to continue invest my own money and If I am successful or any better, then to manage others money in future.

While, I am truly passionate about finance and investing, I am trying to understand if this means making a career switch, or just continuing in my current field with investing as a passion and hobby.I have the follow dilemmas in front of me and I will greatly appreciate any comments and advice.

1) To keep working in my current field as a Researcher/Faculty in industry/academia, which would give me a steady stream of income, stability, flexibility, and security and continue my learning through CFA exams (I, II, and III), and mainly investing my own money to develop a track record. (not much passion in current field. more in love with finance).

2) Or pass CFA Level 1 and/or 2 in a year, quit my current job, and look for entry level Asset management/financial analyst positions even for a substantially lesser salary to get into the field. (not sure about job prospects with PhD Engineering and CFA Level 1/and or 2)

3) Quit my job now, and get into MS Finance from top school with CFA partner program. This option will be costly, I will lose income, and pay for education. And could be stressful. (costly and stressful with family).

4) With a computational modeling background and PhD, I may get Quant positions if I try very hard and then once I break into finance, then do CFA, and go back to Equity research/AM. (seems like round about process)

I am inclined more towards option 2, or may be 4. But I really need some expert advice as this would be a major decision involving lot of time and effort.

I will truly appreciate any comments, opinions, and suggestions. Especially from those already in finance, quant finance, AM, equity research, CFA candidates and charterholders.

Thanks.

Asset management/equity research and quantitative finance are very different things. Which is it that you want to do?

Asset management/equity research and quantitative finance are very different things. Which is it that you want to do?

Thanks for the reply. I am mostly interested in Asset Management/ER and trying to decide the best path I can pursue.

That is a very inaccurate statement. "Quantitative Finance" is a huge blanket term that covers a lot of things. On the buy-side, this may include asset management/equity research.

Is AQR a quantitative finance firm? Absolutely. What do they do? Largely long-only equity and multi-asset (i.e., traditional and style risk premia) portfolios.

Seems to me option #2 and #4 can be pursued simultaneously. I'd go that route.

That is a very inaccurate statement. "Quantitative Finance" is a huge blanket term that covers a lot of things. On the buy-side, this may include asset management/equity research.
You're right. I guess I was only thinking of the 'stereotypical' research/desk quant and 'stereotypical' buy-side analyst.

Back