• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Gaining financial markets & securities knowledge

Hi,

I am an experienced C++ programmer with a Electronics Engineering BSc.

One of the things in mind was how much securities and trading lifecycle knowledge I should have in order to start learning quantitative development ? Would it be realistic to target a quant dev role with lack of securities knowledge ?

Many thanks

if you have little experience with options, black scholes formula, etc, I found the actuarial 2/FM and 3/MFE textbooks very useful for the basics. Also, I think you learn a little and gain interest in this stuff by actually investing yourself

if you have little experience with options, black scholes formula, etc, I found the actuarial 2/FM and 3/MFE textbooks very useful for the basics. Also, I think you learn a little and gain interest in this stuff by actually investing yourself

Many thanks for your reply. Having checked their syllabus, is there also anything you`d suggest for learning trading life cycle as well ? Or at first stage , shall I just stick with learning securities ?

I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to have financial exp to get a quant developer job but it certainly helps. Honestly though, whatever you learn on your own will be trumped by what you would learn in the workplace. On the job learning is the fastest and most relevant way to learn. You'll find once you start working that half the stuff you learn from books or school is useful only from a theoretical standpoint.

Back