• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Georgia Tech QCF

Hello everyone
GA Tech QCF vs UCLA MFE vs Columbia MathFin
Which one to choose from placements and course brand perspective.

Thanks

But Chicago has around 3-4 courses on programming out of 12. And yes their coursework is math heavy which I think is good for buy side roles
I spoke to a number of alumni from Gatech, who all agreed on Gatech's career services being exceptional good. Nearly everyone in the current batch already has an internship, having a small batch also help.
Where as for chicago the career services are not that great.

One more point to highlight is the difference of roles offered a lot of people from gatech would get into risk, and a lot less buy side roles. Where as those roles maybe comparively easier to come by in Chicago.

Just what I gathered by speaking to around 4-6 gatech alumni.

So people from GTech generally go to Risk? From Chicago you keame trading?
It's more like Risk jobs are more in number so overall across programs people go more in risk. If that makes sense?

Next Gatech being in Atlanta people really don't have the access to prop shops/hf that you would in NY or Chicago. So relatively people may get more non risk role than gatech.

Just my opinion, happy to get your inputs. Feel free to add if I missed something

Thanks that's helpful.

I am not much aware about these programs but have admits from both.

I know one thing for sure, I am never joining risk. It's not about being interesting or not, it's not Front Office and growth is just too bad. Prop trading/Asset management is something I would like to do. Chicago is a clear winner then.

Thanks that's helpful.

I know one thing for sure, I am never joining risk. It's not about being interesting or not, it's not Front Office and growth is just too bad. Prop trading/Asset management is something I would like to do. Chicago is a clear winner then.
You may want to speak to people in the Chicago program. Feedback I got is majority people have to look out for the jobs on their own, so unless you've prior relevant work experience those roles would be difficult to get.
Majority of Georgia Tech students get jobs through their career services.

Also the course cost difference is significant. Best of luck for the future!

Thanks that's helpful.

I just saw you've an admit from Columbia as well. Are you choosing chiacgo over Columbia?
Could you share whys that?

Thanks again. I have prior trading experience and got a huge scholarship from Chicago. But career service still makes a huge difference, I know that. I wonder why some universities don't make much efforts for that!

1. Huge scholarship from Chicago. I have enough time to pay my deposit. So haven't chosen Chicago.

2. 4-5 yrs prior experience. I wouldn't learn new things much. So it's all about ROI and proximity to the type of company I want to work in.

3. Preference for buy side. I have worked in sell side for 4 yrs. It was the opposite of innovation house. They suck. Politics wins over knowledge.

I like how pragmatic your expectations is out of the MFE degree. Why not consider Berkeley, given your work ex and their career services being exceptional well for buy side roles as well?
I'm not sure how much more expensive that'll be compared to Chicago with Scholarship.

I spoke to a number of alumni from Gatech, who all agreed on Gatech's career services being exceptional good. Nearly everyone in the current batch already has an internship, having a small batch also help.
Where as for chicago the career services are not that great.

One more point to highlight is the difference of roles offered a lot of people from gatech would get into risk, and a lot less buy side roles. Where as those roles maybe comparively easier to come by in Chicago.

Just what I gathered by speaking to around 4-6 gatech alumni.
I have spoken to my college seniors from Chicago and they said between Chicago and Gatech Chicago is a no brainer. Talking about Chicago career service it is awesome. This year they have 100% internshipsbwith 21% in trading. I think only Berkeley can match this. Yes many students go back to their home countries, but most of them are Chinese students and that's because they prefer god's roles in Hong Kong as compared to getting risk related roles in US. Gatech is a very good tech school, no doubt about it but Uchicago has a massive brand name and a very strong alumni network. So if money is not a constraint I think Chicago is a no brainer.

I have spoken to my college seniors from Chicago and they said between Chicago and Gatech Chicago is a no brainer. Talking about Chicago career service it is awesome. This year they have 100% internshipsbwith 21% in trading. I think only Berkeley can match this. Yes many students go back to their home countries, but most of them are Chinese students and that's because they prefer god's roles in Hong Kong as compared to getting risk related roles in US. Gatech is a very good tech school, no doubt about it but Uchicago has a massive brand name and a very strong alumni network. So if money is not a constraint I think Chicago is a no brainer.
Go back home - anyone who doesn't want to go back home and had to?

Hi Guys,
Recently got an interview from Gtech.
I have just one question ...while applying for the program .. in the program selection drop menu ... one need to choose through which school you want to apply - management, mathematics or engineering.
Can somebody tell me - how a particular selection of school is going to matter from admission & study perspective?

Hi Guys,
I have just one question ...while applying for the program .. in the program selection drop menu ... one need to choose through which school you want to apply - management, mathematics or engineering.
Can somebody tell me - how a particular selection of school is going to matter from admission & study perspective?

I can help with this question. I have checked with someone from QCF program previously. What I was told was that the chance of being accepted is the same across the three departments. The only difference was that the management department accepts GMAT scores. That's all.

I can help with this question. I have checked with someone from QCF program previously. What I was told was that the chance of being accepted is the same across the three departments. The only difference was that the management department accepts GMAT scores. That's all.
So why this option of choosing one of the school if it doesn't matter anywhere except for when one is submitting test scores !!

Hi Guys,

There is no difference among these three departments in terms of admission difficulty. That said, you will belong to that department when you get admitted, and that usually means:

1. You can get additional job postings from that department.
2. You can write that department on your resume if you want.

Back