• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Getting Stock Prices and Visualising, C++

My goal is to make a program that reads live stock prices continuously (for as long as it compiles) and visualises them in excel in a line chart simulating the stock price movement for a certain number of stocks. Thereafter I want to add more features and algorithms separately that indicate an arbitrage opportunity or an option trading strategy based on Put/Call Parity mostly or Sharpe (not really sure yet). The other parameters of the option contracts will be fake since the goal of the program is to make you comfortable with option trading and trading algo designing.

My questions:
  • What is the simplest way to get data from, say, yahoo finance and use them directly in my program? boost/asio/... , <winsock2.h> or something else?
  • Can the visualisation be done with a simple chart usage or it needs custom made settings? if so, the settings can be done through excel or C++? (I think through c++ but not sure)
thanks!

Last edited:
1. POCO: http://pocoproject.org/ -- easy to set up, easy to use; (Boost.)Asio is primarily intended as a "foundations" library for lower-level applications (e.g., cpp-netlib -- POCO's alternative -- is built upon Asio itself); and definitely no reason to waste your time on even lower-lever / platform-specific solutions (these would make no sense given your intended application, e.g., you'd have to implement the HTTP layer yourself)

2. I'd actually suggest reconsidering the Excel part; it's rather platform-limited, too -- what if you'd like to access the live charts via a tablet or a cell phone?
Take a look at Wt instead: http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt
They even have an example you may find interesting: http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt/examples/charts/charts.wt

I'd actually suggest reconsidering the Excel part; it's rather platform-limited,

You ignore Excel at your peril.

Depending on your actual exact requirements, Google Sheets or (VBA) Excel can do the job. Really.
Yeah, guys .. now you can shoot.

Who uses Google Sheets?

OP mentioned Yahoo! as the source of data for his streamed quoting/charting project.

Using online workbook tools is not much inconsistent that mixing Yahoo! quotes with C++, IMO.

Disclaimer: It is just my personal view.

Anyway, Pavlov have you made good progress with this project?

If you want to get it done really easy, you can use esignal's datafeed. They have (or at least used to have) a plugin for excel using DDE. Then you can use any formula you'd like in excel real time.

OP mentioned Yahoo! as the source of data for his streamed quoting/charting project.

Using online workbook tools is not much inconsistent that mixing Yahoo! quotes with C++, IMO.

This is very interesting.

Right now I am working on algos for trading decision making and organize them in libraries. I am still researching the methods you mentioned above but all this feedback really helps. Thanks and keep updating. It saves me a hell of a time :)

Back