• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

God, hardest choice! NYU MathFin VS Harvard CSE

They would or wouldn't make great teachers but he has an opportunity.

I have seen plenty of Political Sc/Art History majors from Harvard/Princenton fill analyst spots not much from NYU unless they are from Stern School. Nepotism and tribalism is rife on wall street and it would be foolish to deny it.

1. Good mathematicians do not necessarily make good teachers.
2. Programs generally limit how many courses you can take outside of the department (I have degrees from both and teach at one of these.)
3. I don't agree about the social value and I won't even say anything about the "usurping comment.
4. Brand does count, but in finance, I'd give the edge to NYU.

I have seen plenty of Political Sc/Art History majors from Harvard/Princenton fill analyst spots not much from NYU unless they are from Stern School. Nepotism and tribalism is rife on wall street and it would be foolish to deny it.

I don't doubt that's true, but I haven't seen all that much of it academically-based. I think it's much more prevalent with respect to shared experience at a particular firm. I can't think of any Harvard cabals in the sales and trading space while I can readily identify the JPM, Bankers Trust, Drexel Burnham and Credit Suisse clubs.

I suspect that there may be some recruiting bias, since senior people aren't as actively engaged in first-round, on-campus recruiting. This is usually left to fairly recent hires, who take advantage of the opportunity to revisit their old hunting grounds.

I also see this happen primarily with respect to undergrad institutions. That may be because the bonds are stronger there or simply because at the graduate level, people are much more career-focused and not as socially involved with their classmates.

My view may be biased, however, because a) I did my graduate degrees on a part-time basis and b) I've been in sales and trading pretty much my entire career.

Last edited:

Lots of anecdotes. How relevant are they when it all boils down to the nitty grity?

i.e. how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited:
Fair Points. However, there are certainly enough HBS grads who land up in trading desks without even having a grasp of BS model.

Having a lucky break earlier in career can be a force multiplier and institutional pedigree only maximizes your chances. Talent without opportunity means jack. Said that, NYU Math finance may have a sharper cohort of students as it has a clearer path.

I don't doubt that's true, but I haven't seen all that much of it academically-based. I think it's much more prevalent with respect to shared experience at a particular firm. I can't think of any Harvard cabals in the sales and trading space while I can readily identify the JPM, Bankers Trust, Drexel Burnham and Credit Suisse clubs.

I suspect that there may be some recruiting bias, since senior people aren't as actively engaged in first-round, on-campus recruiting. This is usually left to fairly recent hires, who take advantage of the opportunity to revisit their old hunting grounds.

I also see this happen primarily with respect to undergrad institutions. That may be because the bonds are stronger there or simply because at the graduate level, people are much more career-focused and not as socially involved with their classmates.

My view may be biased, however, because a) I did my graduate degrees on a part-time basis and b) I've been in sales and trading pretty much my entire career.

I am sure I don't find you funny at all. Hiding your ignorant in silly jokes? How pathetic. You are low class silly and just wanna be that bitching asshole. You don't even know the day 1 lesson. Perhaps it is just because your family tree is a cactus and everybody on it is a prick.
Having a bad day, mate?
I would say you are a very nice person in real life which is my experience with anonymous internet warriors like your good self :D

Back