• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help: Book on Derivatives for undergraduates??

Pol

Hi everyone,

I would like some help from the experts in books! I am professionally a govies trader, nothing very quantitative, and last year I started teaching derivatives to undergraduates. I had too short time to prepare my first year so, since I had the idea that the Hull was the bible for derivatives, I just used it as the compulsory guide.

The thing is that for next year I am looking for an alternative that is more simple, better structured, more linked to real financial markets and, if possible, more based on European conventions since I am teaching there.

Can anyone help out? Many thanks in advance!!!

Pablo

Last edited:
Hull's "Fundamentals of Futures and Options Markets" is "Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives" without the advanced math. I think the former is marketed to undergraduates

I thought Bodie-Kane-Marcus (MBA book on Investments) was a fairly comfortable read for an advanced undergrad. The derivatives material is limited but is a good introduction and the authors are very practically-oriented. It should be a good base to develop further readings off of.

Many thanks to everyone for the recommendations. The thing is that my approach to the subject wants to be as practical as it could since I am not a quant, just a govies trader with BBA background. Where I can add more value to the kids is showing them stuff from real markets, bloomberg, news,... but of course I would like to teach them the key concepts, so I am looking for a textbook that, let's say, shows in an intuitive way these key concepts, starting from forwards and futures (most of the books focus more on options, but for this level, undergraduates, I think it is good to focus even more on futures and forwards). Let say that my ideal textbook would need to be written by someone who really trades in the markets.

Does anyone know "Financial Derivatives" by Kolb?

Let say that my ideal textbook would need to be written by someone who really trades in the markets.

Are you not getting ahead of yourself? Not sure if this is pedagogically good at undergrad level.

Back