• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How can I improve my profile for a MFE/PHD in Fin. Math?

Hello,

I left the labor force a year and a half ago as I was facing depression. I worked as a Market Analyst for a pharmaceutical branding company for 2 months before being let go as I wasn't a "good fit". Before that I worked as a Marketing Analyst for a rather large Insurance broker quoting High Net Worth PnC accounts and handling said accounts for 2 years.

I am a Hispanic- Male, 3.66 GPA. I got my Bachelors of Science in Economics from a State School. These were my grades:

Relevant Math/Stat/CS:
Calc 1: A-
Calc 2: A
Calc 3: C+
Linear Algebra: A-
Discrete Math 1: B+
Calculus-Based Probability: B+
Time Series Analysis: B
Design of Experiments/ Analysis of Variance: A-
Programming 1 (C++): A

Relevant Econ Classes:
Intermediate Micro: A
Intermediate Macro: A
Econometrics: A
Analysis of Economic Data: B+
Financial Markets and Monetary Policy: A
Game Theory: B+
Business Organization and Market Structure: A-

Relevant Insurance:
Risk Management and Insurance: C ( ouch, I took my lest semester and got lazy)

I have decided to go back to school this spring and take:
Programming 2 (C++)
Computer Organization 1 ( needed for Data Structures class in summer)
Discrete Math 2
Numerical Analysis

And this in the Summer:
Data Structures and Algorithms 1
Computer Organization 2
Diff Eqs.
Study for and take the GRE

Assuming I ace the classes I plan on taking, and get 3 solid letters of rec. Would this be enough to get into a mid tier/low tier program with funding?

Last edited:
If it's a mid/low tier MFE, what will you do once you graduate? And since every MFE I know is a cash cow for the department/university, you probably won't get funding.

Ok. Let's say Mid to Mid-high. In that case, what do you propose I do?

edit: I want to be a research quant!

Last edited:

I may get some flak for this but probably the best MFE students are those whose formal background is way stronger than what is required by the program. In other words, those attempting to complete what they feel or know to be formal prerequisites are already at a disadvantage.

Your econ courses are irrelevant. Some ODEs, PDEs, and real analysis would come in handy.

You don't need to join a program to learn the MFE contents. 80% of skills set can be picked by self learning and access to a good library w/ discipline. The value of MFE lie in pedigree and being fed to a quality internship program which translate to full time offer. Second rate programs are second rate for a reason.

Hello,

I left the labor force a year and a half ago as I was facing depression. I worked as a Market Analyst for a pharmaceutical branding company for 2 months before being let go as I wasn't a "good fit". Before that I worked as a Marketing Analyst for a rather large Insurance broker quoting High Net Worth PnC accounts and handling said accounts for 2 years.

I am a Hispanic- Male, 3.66 GPA. I got my Bachelors of Science in Economics from a State School. These were my grades:

Relevant Math/Stat/CS:
Calc 1: A-
Calc 2: A
Calc 3: C+
Linear Algebra: A-
Discrete Math 1: B+
Calculus-Based Probability: B+
Time Series Analysis: B
Design of Experiments/ Analysis of Variance: A-
Programming 1 (C++): A

Relevant Econ Classes:
Intermediate Micro: A
Intermediate Macro: A
Econometrics: A
Analysis of Economic Data: B+
Financial Markets and Monetary Policy: A
Game Theory: B+
Business Organization and Market Structure: A-

Relevant Insurance:
Risk Management and Insurance: C ( ouch, I took my lest semester and got lazy)

I have decided to go back to school this spring and take:
Programming 2 (C++)
Computer Organization 1 ( needed for Data Structures class in summer)
Discrete Math 2
Numerical Analysis

And this in the Summer:
Data Structures and Algorithms 1
Computer Organization 2
Diff Eqs.
Study for and take the GRE

Assuming I ace the classes I plan on taking, and get 3 solid letters of rec. Would this be enough to get into a mid tier/low tier program with funding?

I may get some flak for this but probably the best MFE students are those whose formal background is way stronger than what is required by the program. In other words, those attempting to complete what they feel or know to be formal prerequisites are already at a disadvantage.

Your econ courses are irrelevant. Some ODEs, PDEs, and real analysis would come in handy.

Hopefully I can make it! Thanks!

You don't need to join a program to learn the MFE contents. 80% of skills set can be picked by self learning and access to a good library w/ discipline. The value of MFE lie in pedigree and being fed to a quality internship program which translate to full time offer. Second rate programs are second rate for a reason.

Just spam my application to the mid tier when it comes to application time??? I do not think I am good enough for the top tier.

Diversify. Apply to safety schools and some top tier moonshots. Hire someone to sharpen profile and put your best foot forward. Improve quant skills so that even if you get into top schools you won't be struggling.

Just spam my application to the mid tier when it comes to application time??? I do not think I am good enough for the top tier.

Back