• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How important are interviews for MFE program?

Hey guys,

As most MFE programs are about to send out interviews in a month or so, I am quite curious about the importance of interviews for the top MFE programs. Is it like job hunting, where acing an interview is the only way of getting the offer? Or is the interview only one of the factors for the admission, where a really strong candidate can still land the offer with a mediocre interview?

In short, are interviews that important?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
Thanks!

However, most student who gets in the interview are admitted, except for programs that interviews pretty much everyone (think Columbia).

Thanks!

However, most student who gets in the interview are admitted, except for programs that interviews pretty much everyone (think Columbia).
I think it depends. Interviews for some programs like Baruch are technical and selective. But for CMU, it seems like that it is almost a verification and the admit possibility for interviewers is high. The interview is an important part anyway, but different programs may give different priorities to it.

The two interview rounds for admission to the Baruch MFE Program are conducted by faculty and are technical with questions from math, finance, and C++.

I think it depends. Interviews for some programs like Baruch are technical and selective. But for CMU, it seems like that it is almost a verification and the admit possibility for interviewers is high. The interview is an important part anyway, but different programs may give different priorities to it.
Thanks! That answers my question perfectly!

The two interview rounds for admission to the Baruch MFE Program are conducted by faculty and are technical with questions from math, finance, and C++.
I've heard a great deal about Baruch's interview process. I look forward to it! Great thanks Dan!

Are they gonna ask some technical questions for the interviews or it is most likely general behavioral questions as well as things they are interested in on your resume?

Programs that have been doing the interviews for a while will have the resources to do technical interviews via phone or sometimes in person.
Others that only done that recenlty will mostly use it as a chance to gauge the applicants' ability to converse in English. Many programs learn that soft skills are crucial in today job market.

Back