• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How important is school location to where you actually want to work?

Hello!

I've made a slightly similar thread a few weeks ago, but now my situation is clear. I've been accepted into Columbia's MFE program as well as UCLA's MFE program. I would like to work for a buy side firm in California long term, as I hear the work culture there in general suits me better. There's also the slightly lower cost of living.

How important is the location of your school for determining in what state you actually end up working in? Would I be more likely to enter a buy side firm in California out of UCLA or Columbia? Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate advice from professionals in the field!

Having lived in Westwood for few years, I can tell it is no cheaper than Manhattan.
Getting into a buy side firm in California is more of a function of your previous work exp than location solely. You could get easily edged out by someone with a better work ex from East Coast schools if the firm is prestigious and position advertised enough.

Hello!

I've made a slightly similar thread a few weeks ago, but now my situation is clear. I've been accepted into Columbia's MFE program as well as UCLA's MFE program. I would like to work for a buy side firm in California long term, as I hear the work culture there in general suits me better. There's also the slightly lower cost of living.

How important is the location of your school for determining in what state you actually end up working in? Would I be more likely to enter a buy side firm in California out of UCLA or Columbia? Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate advice from professionals in the field!

Having lived in Westwood for few years, I can tell it is no cheaper than Manhattan.
Getting into a buy side firm in California is more of a function of your previous work exp than location solely. You could get easily edged out by someone with a better work ex from East Coast schools if the firm is prestigious and position advertised enough.

Thank for your input! I do not have any finance related work experience at this point, so this is definitely going to be a tough transition. The main concern I have about going to ucla, like you mentioned, is being outmatched by people from various programs throughout the country despite graduating in a west coast program.. It seems like it would be a waste of an opportunity to go to an Ivy league school with an excellent reputation. I'm leaning towards Columbia at this point.

Well, you wont be the first one nor the last one in this spot. Being agile and over prepared is always a good remedy to balance other weakness.

Thank for your input! I do not have any finance related work experience at this point, so this is definitely going to be a tough transition. The main concern I have about going to ucla, like you mentioned, is being outmatched by people from various programs throughout the country despite graduating in a west coast program.. It seems like it would be a waste of an opportunity to go to an Ivy league school with an excellent reputation. I'm leaning towards Columbia at this point.

Back