• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How relevant is my current experience?

I've been working as a Financial Analyst at a boutique M&A firm in my country for 8 months. My current job involves few mathematical concepts and very little coding. I want to work as a Quantitative Researcher in the future and I'm planning to apply to various quantitative finance programs in the US. My question is, do I have to start afresh when it comes to working in the quantitative space or will my current experience help me secure a better position after graduation in the same?
The reason being I could very well start looking for a job which is focused on quantitative finance rather than working in corporate finance.

For what?
Let me put it this way, currently I'm an analyst in the field of corporate finance, will this experience help in securing an associate role in quantitative finance after graduation, say from a top tier quant program or do I need to work as an analyst in quantitative finance so that I can look forward to associate roles in the future?

Let me put it this way, currently I'm an analyst in the field of corporate finance, will this experience help in securing an associate role in quantitative finance after graduation, say from a top tier quant program or do I need to work as an analyst in quantitative finance so that I can look forward to associate roles in the future?
But what is your goal?
Money? I don't know your context but I would say that in Germany (where I live) an ambitious person from corporate finance has more chances to make a career upto to CFO than a quant.
Why? Simply because many small- and midsize companies hardly need quants.
Fun? Not really, almost noone wants "innovative" complex products anymore, market liquidity dries.

But what is your goal?
Money? I don't know your context but I would say that in Germany (where I live) an ambitious person from corporate finance has more chances to make a career upto to CFO than a quant.
Why? Simply because many small- and midsize companies hardly need quants.
Fun? Not really, almost noone wants "innovative" complex products anymore, market liquidity dries.
Very well, but I don't want to grow in a field where I know I won't be having exposure to mathematics and coding. That being said, I chose to work in an M&A firm to get the required experience in finance. My goal is not money, are you saying that quantitative finance jobs are limited to pricing options and developing trading strategies?

are you saying that quantitative finance jobs are limited to pricing options and developing trading strategies?
No they are not (and these two are the most wanted).
But you can also press buttons and crunch Excel sheets to generate risk reports (the advantage working in risk is that your job is relatively safe) or debug a legacy code.

Once again, being quant is not more as sexy as before! Of course there are interesting jobs and good money but the way to them is really hard. As a junior, be prepared to make backtesting, model validation, reporting, legacy code debugging for several years. Only after them you may (or may not) be promoted to senior and will be able to make your own models and, in general, have some interesting tasks. I went this way. But I had enough juniors that were passionate with math for a month or two but then gave up quickly.

No they are not (and these two are the most wanted).
But you can also press buttons and crunch Excel sheets to generate risk reports (the advantage working in risk is that your job is relatively safe) or debug a legacy code.

Once again, being quant is not more as sexy as before! Of course there are interesting jobs and good money but the way to them is really hard. As a junior, be prepared to make backtesting, model validation, reporting, legacy code debugging for several years. Only after them you may (or may not) be promoted to senior and will be able to make your own models and, in general, have some interesting tasks. I went this way. But I had enough juniors that were passionate with math for a month or two but then gave up quickly.
I understand the bigger picture now. Thank you for the valuable insight. :)

Back