• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to Avoid IT Positions

Currently I'm a quantitative developer at a medium size insurance company for the front office derivatives team. I graduated with my BS in Mathematics and Physics about a year ago. In my current job, I spent the first 6 months automating front office operations and writing applications to process trade and market data. But for the last 6 months (and probably for the next 6 months) I have been forced to help out the middle office replace some of their expensive collateral management products with in-house web apps. I can't stand web development. Especially for processes that are so boring.

I want to start applying for more math-oriented quant positions, but I am having trouble wording my resume to sound more like a quant analyst than a software developer.

What do employers look for in a resume to distinguish IT-oriented developers from real quant analysts?

"Quantitative developer" reads "developer", not "quantitative", and from the description of what you've been doing, indeed it sounds like a development job.

I think you'll have a tough time seeming more of a quant if BS is your highest level of education. Can you maybe through networking move internally to a quant position?

Back