• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interdisciplinary studies in persuit of quantitative analysis

I am at that point in my college education where I have to pick a major and stick with it. I want to ultimately do quantitative analysis, but I am having problems deciding on a major.
First, a little background… I am currently in the Air Force and will be for the next few years. Here in the coming months I will be moving to the UK so, all class work must be done online. I completed all of my liberal requirements at Park University and recently transferred to University of Minnesota for accounting.
As stated above I would like to end up as an analyst, but am having trouble deciding how to get there. I could stick with the accounting major and get zero programming knowledge or I could stay with Park and do an interdisciplinary degree. With the interdisciplinary degree I would make sure and hit all fundamental programing classes, discrete mathematics, linear algebra, calc (1,2,3), macroeconomics, microeconomics, and various accounting and financial classes.
To me this sounds great, but I am concerned with the credibility of an interdisciplinary degree in the eyes of future employers and/or grad schools. Please, provide me with some advice on which path to take that will ultimately lead to my chosen destination.

Thank you for your reply Ken. Perhaps, it is noteworthy to mention that at UM I will not be afforded the option to take any Calc, Linear Algebra, or Discrete Mathematics. I am not sure if they even offer those classes online, but more importantly if the military is to pay for my education then I have to stick to the degree requirements.

Here is a rundown of the classes that I would be taking.
ACCT 2101 - Principles of Accounting I (3.0 cr)
ACCT 2102 - Principles of Accounting II (3.0 cr)
ACCT 3201 - Intermediate Accounting I (4.0 cr)
ACCT 3202 - Intermediate Accounting II (4.0 cr) ACCT 3220 - Accounting Systems (3.0 cr)
ACCT 3301 - Cost Accounting I (3.0 cr)
ACCT 3302 - Cost Accounting II (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4110 - Advanced Accounting I (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4111 - Advanced Accounting II (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4221 - Auditing I (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4310 - Auditing II (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4404 - Income Tax I (3.0 cr)
ACCT 4405 - Income Tax II (3.0 cr)
COMM 3303 - Writing in Your Profession, LIB ED ELC (3.0 cr)
GBUS 3107 - Legal Environment in Business (3.0 cr)
GBUS 3117 - Business Law (3.0 cr)
MGMT 3100 - Managerial Finance (3.0 cr)
MGMT 3200 - Principles of Management (3.0 cr)
MKTG 3300 - Principles of Marketing (3.0 cr)

I am thinking that I am missing some crucial classes unless they have disguised Calc in one of those accounting classes. I do plan on going to graduate school. I guess I could pick up those classes then, but from what I have read so far they are prerequisites. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Back