• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Internships for admitted MSMF students?

Hello,
I just got an admit from Rutgers MSMF, and I'm still waiting for NYU Courant and Columbia MAFN. Given that I'm definitely attending one of these programs I thought it would be wise to see if I can find an internship for this summer. I know students typically pursue an internship after the first year, but I figure the more experience the better even if it's at a lower level. So if any of you can point me to the type of internship you think is best, or can offer any general career path advice, given the following background and interests I would very much appreciate it.

I just graduated with a BS in Mathematics and Physics, and I'm heavy in applied courses like PDE, analysis, numerical analysis, complex variables, etc..., and my GPA in those courses (if it matters for application purposes) is perfect. However I haven't taken any finance courses nor do I possess any experience in finance. I did a summer internship at Berkeley, and that along with my senior project gave me experience in creating physical simulations. I currently use matlab, but I'm comfortable in python, I've used C# and VB in the past, and it never takes me long to learn a new programming language.

My primary interest is in the emerging technology. The physics side of my degree gave me knowledge of current research into nanoelectronics (think emerging semiconductor and energy tech), renewable energy, and quantum computing. My ultimate- and hopefully feasible- goal is to create models estimating the effects of such technologies on the market. ie. if a much better battery hits shelves tomorrow how does that effect sales of mobile devices, and how much and at what rate might the price of oil decline if said battery ends up in electric cars.

Thanks for taking the time to read

-Shane

Hi,

that's a great question. I was also thinking of an internship before start of the program (will join Columbia MFE for 2015/16). I would be happy if someone can comment on their experiences trying to secure an internship before starting a masters program, whathever field they wanted to focus on.

Thanks,
Marek

I too have considered an internship this summer before I join the Columbia MFE in August. Unfortunately I graduate from a UK university in July which rules out most summer internship programs (ones lasting over a month). I most probably will intern in Asset Management back in my home country for the short duration hoping to rack up some experience and get in touch with the markets before the course starts.

Back