• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Imperial MathFin Is Math&Fin at Imperial worth it?

Hi,

I am considering the 1Y Math&Finance program at Imperial College, London. But I have a hard time finding some job placement statistics for the aforementioned program.
Firstly, I would like to know if one seek to get a full time quant finance job in London, are graduates from Imperial Math&Fin attractive on the job market or should one get a PHD instead? From what I currently know about this business, I would like to work front office and not as a quant developer.

Secondly, could someone tell me how the current quant job market in London is in general now?

Thanks, I appreciate any help with these questions.

I don't know the specific programme you mentioned but Imperial College in general is very renowned for its quantitative programmes. However jobmarket in England is not as big as the one in US and also has strict anti immigrant laws. Especially if you are an Asian student, you might not easily find someone to sponsor you a visa. Just check job ads for UK. Many of the firms look for people with work authorization.

I went to Imperial's RMFE... which is like the soft version of their math finance. Some of our courses are taught by the professors from that program. They have some renowned researchers in the field of quantitative finance, like Rama Con and Damiano Brigo(if you have heard of the book Interest Rate Derivatives: Theory and Practice). Compared to the US's MFE programs, UKs' are quit short( one year in which there is actually around 8 months of classes). Job market is extremely tough because most of the companies do not sponsor Visa.

Back