• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is wealth of asset management really Quant job?

Should I go for this if I want to be a Quant, interested in derivative pricing and coding?

• Sure, go for it.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Do not go, it is not related at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You can give it a try.

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
I am finishing Ph.D. in Computer Science, and want to work as a quant. So, I came across some graduate program by JP Morgan in their wealth and asset management division. The job description reads something like

"Depending on your team, you may help create customized financial strategies, manage client relationships or develop investment portfolios. Analysts also provide research and analysis, and assist with product development."

So, is it really a Quant job? Unfortunately, most jobs I see on LinkedIn really require years of experience, so does the asset management division at least give me a start in the industry, even if it is not as prestigious as the Strats etc.?

I will really appreciate answers from some industry veterans.

Quantitative methods should be (and are) applied in asset management, but you should go only if you are equally interested in reading news and balance sheets.
Finally, quantitative and qualitative methods complement, not substitute each other

Quantitative methods should be (and are) applied in asset management, but you should go only if you are equally interested in reading news and balance sheets.
Finally, quantitative and qualitative methods complement, not substitute each other

Thanks for the answer. So the impression I get is these jobs can be quant jobs but...There is always a but.

I read a lot of news anyway, but my primary training and expertise have been in mathematics, constrained optimisation theory, C++, OOP, stochastic process etc.

So at least if I go for these sorts of jobs, does it count as experience, which could open the door for a 'real' quant job, without the 'but's?

I read a lot of news anyway, but my primary training and expertise have been in mathematics, constrained optimisation theory, C++, OOP, stochastic process etc.
Then: no-no.
Quantitative and technical skills are very useful but forget about (too) advanced models in Asset Management: unless you are in a big company, nobody will allow you to "waste" your time for them (and if you are in a big company, there are special R&D teams, which, however, are NOT the traders or portfolio managers, rather they work for them).

And secondly, most of advanced models simply do not work in practice due to calibration errors. In this sense, read the following post and try the last R-Script to understand why you never can use [portfolio] optimisation theory straightforwadly.
Stripping down the robo-advisors: sparrow-brains inside — letYourMoneyGrow.com - Serving Retail Investors

It is not a quant job as such. What you should be looking for, if sell side quant is the thing you're into, are things like this (Googled "jpmorgan quant", this position happens to be in Singapore, but I'm sure there are openings globally): J.P. Morgan - 2017 IB Quantitative Research PhD/Masters Associate /Analyst – Singapore Internship

and similar roles in say a model validation group would also be looking for candidates with a mathematical background.

You should primarily target intern positions if you don't have previous experience in finance, as the competition for the full time places is much tougher.

Back