• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Long short equity hedge fund question

0favorite

I have a question related to long short equity hedge funds.

1) What are some of the metrics used to perform risk analysis of long short equity funds on fund level? Volatility (standard deviation), sharpe ratio, sortino ratio, net exposure, gross exposure, and maximum drawdown are some metrics I could think of. Are there any other ones I should look into?

2) I am having some trouble differentiating b/w net exposure and gross exposure. From my understanding, net exposure is long position - short position and gross exposure if long position + short position. Also, only net exposure measures market risk, so the higher the net exposure, the higher the market risk. However, I also know that if gross exposure is over 100%, it means it is using leverage. Thus, it should have more risk too, right?

Back