• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Machine Learning vs. Numerical Computing

Hello,

I am an applied mathematics major who is intending on pursuing a MFE with the goal of ultimately becoming a quant.

Along with my applied mathematics major, I am planning on obtaining a CS minor. However, due to how popular the CS courses now are, we are limited to the number of senior-level courses we can take. This puts me in the position to have to decide between these courses. I have limited myself down to two areas that I believe will be most useful, Machine Learning and Numerical Computing. The course descriptions are as follows:

Machine Learning
  1. Machine Learning and Data Mining - Fundamentals of supervised and unsupervised learning. Neural networks, policy gradient methods in reinforcement learning
  2. Probabilistic Learning and Reasoning - Finding meaningful latent representations of data, taking advantage of large unlabeled datasets, and doing analogical reasoning automatically by building probabilistic models.
Numerical Computing
  1. Numerical Algorithms - Learn how to develop accurate and efficient numerical algorithms for computing intensities for practical problems modelled by mathematics
  2. Numerical Methods for Optimization Problems - Steepest descent, Newton's method, quasi-Newton methods, conjugate gradient methods and techniques for large problems
I believe that all four of these courses are taught with MATLAB. Any ideas/thoughts as to which pair of courses might be more useful in the future will be greatly appreciated. At this point in time, I am leaning towards the machine learning courses but I know that numerical computing/analysis is quite important for math students.

Thanks.

Back