• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MBA After MFE

Hi,

Is MBA necessary after MFE for growing higher in an organisation?? I heard that lots of quants do MBA after a few years
Is it like MFEs remain in back end jobs for ever or there is a scope to move to front end jobs?
Which qualification (MBA/MFE) would be a best way to become a trader in any investment bank??
How is the growth for MFEs w.r.t salaries compared to MBAs?

Regards,
Govind

Hi,
Is MBA necessary after MFE for growing higher in an organisation?? I heard that lots of quants do MBA after a few years
And those quants already have MFE ? Also, they may do MBA to change career, not neccessary required to move up.
Is it like MFEs remain in back end jobs for ever or there is a scope to move to front end jobs?
One may work in back office with a MBA/MFE/PhD/BS/MS/BA/etc....it's up to that person's ability, not what his degree is. Like wise, lot of traders, front office people only have a highschool degree, BS, MFE...there is no correlation between the degree and where one ends up.
Which qualification (MBA/MFE) would be a best way to become a trader in any investment bank??
Neither. To become a trader, you need talent, luck, being the right place at the right time and host of other factors. I know at least 2 of our graduates from Baruch MFE program are working as trader, one in NYC and one in Chicago.
I don't personally know any trader with an MBA. That doesn't mean there is none.
How is the growth for MFEs w.r.t salaries compared to MBAs?
General rule applies: demand vs supply. That said, MBA and MFE usually end up in different job positions with different pay scale. MFE gives you more career options than an MBA does. A quant may do a job of an investment banker well but an investment banker may not be able to do a quant's job. Individual situation applies.

If you want to go into the Investment Banking division of some of the competitive firms, an MBA may become a solid requirement to even get in.

Back