• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

ML task, anyone can help?

Hi, im new so im not sure if this is the proper category to post but here it goes my question:

I applied for an intership at an AM firm and they gave me a machine learning assignment to solve. My dutie was to distinguish real returns time series from fake ones (generated by them). I have tried my best. I have tried to test normality, volatility persistance, stationarity... but im only on the 70% accuracy band and I want to improve this result. Any ideas?

I am asking about other relevant features or maybe another approach (a neural network?) to improve this result. However, i dont know what to use or what to do. But i think that the predictive power of the model could be more than 70% without incurring in overfitting

you would have to plot the test MSE to identify if overfitting occurs.

Did you try to check the ACF of the two series? If it's close to 1, it clearly can't be returns.

Plot of Return squared would help as well. After running a t-test to see if mean is 0, if not, subtract the mean and plot the return squared. But I might be wrong here, lack of volatility clustering might not indicate the series is fake. It just says the conditional variance is constant.

Box Ljung test to test of serial autocorrelation? If there is heteroscadacity, try breusch-Godfrey test

Plot the kde of each series ?

Last edited:
Can you try generative adversarial networks using long short term memory (lstm)?

Back