• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Modeling commodity price for hedging?

Hi, everyone.
I am a newbie in financial investment and risk management research field, only having engineering background.
Now I am exploring a research topic on hedging commodity spot price risk with futures. I try to apply approximate dynamic programming to solve a Markov Decision Optimization problem. Since approximate dynamic program is a sample path based algorithm. I need to model the commodity price.
I want to use neural network regression approach to model the commodity price, however, I found that in most cases, people adopted linear models, like Schwartz two factor model, etc..
I wonder if it is appropriate for me to use the neural network to model the commodity price and generate sample paths.

Thank you very much for reading this through and leave your advices!

Back