• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSFE vs MSOR

Kky

Hey,

I'm about to begin my application, and I would like to seek advice on whether I should apply for MSFE or MSOR.

Of course we know MSFE programme is stronger in general, but sometimes it doesn't make sense to always choose whatever is stronger. There are two major concerns for me:

1 MSFE is too expensive. It cost about $20,000 more than MSOR. 20,000 dollars! I am just wondering how better MSFE is than MSOR. Is this extra $20,000 a good investment?

2 MSFE begins too early, and there are no opportunity for a summer internship, but MSOR is more flexible. Also, starting too early means that I will loose a wonderful summer vocation next year.

I read some posts on this, some said in seeking jobs, it doesn't really better whether we are studying MSFE, MAFN or MSOR, and what it really matters is what we really know. MSFE has better placement than MSOR is simply because the students are more capable in general, not because they have superior reputation or career service. Is this true?

MSFE has better placement than MSOR is simply because the students are more capable in general, not because they have superior reputation or career service. Is this true?

So you are asking whether it is worth to be associated with the "more capable" group?

So you are asking whether it is worth to be associated with the "more capable" group?
Being associated with the "more capable" group is of course always good, but if this effect is small, it may not worth a large investment.

Spread $20000 over 40 years. It is not such a big investment.

Spread $20000 over 40 years. It is not such a big investment.

I don't have an opinion to the original question given that I know nothing about the Columbia programs. But the above is wrong-headed thinking. Your degree will only really come into play in getting your first job after receiving the degree. Your 40 (or whatever) year career will be determined by your own abilities, not your degree.

Yes Jose but your first job is setting your direction more often than not. I am not saying that the particular degree will matter 40 or 10 or 5 years from now. Your entry point would matter though, so why not maximize your chances. 20k is a lot of money now but a small amount in the bigger context. Money comes and goes. Why save it now and consciously enter the not "more capable" group.
I would also question the more or less capable notion as there is a lot of excellent people in MSOR. It is really the OP that differentiates and he might have a reason to do so. Then we are back to, why choose what you consider inferior just to save 20k.

Whether you are associated with the 'more capable' group does not change the fact that you are or are not 'more capable'. Either you are more capable or you are not. Having a more prestigious degree will help signal that to your first employer, but their are plenty of other ways to land a first good job and many people do, irregardless of their school or pedigree.

If you are not 'more capable' and you happen to have devised a way to become associated with the 'more capable' group, this will quickly become detected by your first employer and having that sexy entry level gig will be irrelevant to the long term.

A first job may or may not set the direction of your career (certainly not 'more often than not'). Most of the people I know are not doing anything particularly correlated to what they did at their first job, but YMMV.

Back