• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Multiverse Pricing Models

I try to send you this very first version of the DFD of the paper. I found myself comfortable with this approach. Very useful for the upcoming paper rewriting. I hope I interpreted your suggestion correctly. I wanted to create a diagram that fits on one page, but I wouldn't have been able to include the tabs on the mathematical points. First attempt .... Goodbye, Marco

Attachments

• DFD_paper_multiverso_models_theory.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
I looked at the DFD. At this stage I do not have enough information to go on. Some issues IMHO are:

1. The scope of the article is rather diffuse .. I would scope the problem to a well-known concrete problem and start again (e.g. take a 1-factor barrier option and work the whole process out A-Z with LATEX formulae and data).
2. Flag your assumptions ... what kinds of problems: 1, 2 factor etc., n factor, early exercise etc.
3. The Simplex method: personally, I don't encounter it a lot. Is it a bit antiquated, why was it chosen? It is a linear program with linear constraints.
a . Which classes of equity problems can it handle? What about non-linearity?
b . Does it always have a unique maximum?
c . Can Simplex be solved in polynomial time?
d . p. 12 or article: are you solving non-linear problems as a (sub-optimal as stated on page 20) as sequence of linear problems?
e . Precise formulation of input to Simplex. Does it satisfy the assumptions of Simplex?
4. Accuracy issues not quantified.
5. Which specific numerical methods: PDE/FDM, Fokker-Planck, Monte Carlo, calibration.
6. Transition matrix story A-Z needs attention.

//
the source of all great mathematics is the special case, the concrete example. It is frequent in mathematics that every instance of a concept of seemingly great generality is in essence the same as a small and concrete special case.
-
Paul Halmos

Last edited:
Ciao Marco,
The approach taken in this article (Monte Carlo in C#) might help (separation of concerns) is not a million miles away from the approach/recommendations here (especially Figures 1 and 2).

A useful quiz: "align" your DFD with context diagram Figure 1 (or 2).

Attachments

• MC Application (5).pdf
    953.9 KB · Views: 4
Re "can always be integrated out".

It's not clear to me what is being asserted.

It's true that, in Hidden Markov Models, for example, there is indeed a lot of integrating out. I have a whole chapter on "Stochastic Volatility as a Hidden Markov Model" in my "Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility II" book.

Separately, Dupire/Gyongy theory does a lot of integrating out of univariate or multivariate stochastic volatility in the construction of a local volatility surface for diffusions.

However, there remains the problem of "re-calibration".

In any event, if you can make/prove a careful statement about the application of your theory to data generating processes with additional state variables (hidden or not), my suggestion is to include that in your paper.
I would like to this problem a bit of a whack in C++. Ideally, C++20 and possibly Boost C++ libraries.
Is there a defined process (input-processing-output)?

Some hints:
  1. First, you have to understand the problem.
  2. After understanding, make a plan.(algorithm)
  3. Carry out the plan.
  4. Look back on your work. How could it be better?
I need someone to do 1 (and maybe some of 2).

Attachments

• 16RenMadanQian.pdf
    311.4 KB · Views: 3
Alan's chapter 5 has

Step I: Standsardised SDE
Step II: Discretize the SDE (Euler (x) and NR lattice (y), others?)
Step III: HMM structures (construct Q_n(x) matrix)
?? Step IV: what's next? is that section 5.5's use cases?

Fundamental data input?
Final output?

Back